Alternating Series: Evaluate E(n = 1) to Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to properly evaluate the series (-1)^n+1/n^6 and the use of the alternating series test and absolute convergence test. The conversation also touches on the concept of "proper form" and how it is not necessary for this problem.
vigintitres

Homework Statement

E(n = 1) to infinity ((-1)^n+1)/n^6

Homework Equations

This needs to be in the proper form with the exponent on an being n - 1 not n + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to get the problem into the proper for to evaluate it as an alternating series

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "standard form". If you're just trying to prove that the sum converges, the alternating series test requires that you show

(1) [tex]a_n[/tex] is strictly alternating (i.e. [tex]a_{n+1}=-a_n[/tex])

(2) [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0[/tex]

(3) [tex]|a_{n+1}| \leq |a_n|[/tex]

EDIT: You could also use direct comparison to show that the sum is absolutely convergent.

I don't see why you need a "proper form". I mean it is alternating signs after all. If you wanted the exponent to be n-1 you could just replace n+1 with n-1 since you're just dividing by (-1)^2 = 1. But there really is no point in doing that.

Use the absolute convergence test first when dealing with alternating series. You'll see that in some cases such as this one, using it determines convergence/divergence easily.

But if you really must have "proper form", (-1)n+1= (-1)n-1+ 2= (-1)n+1(-1)2= (-1)n-1 because (-1)2= 1.

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a series where the terms alternate in sign between positive and negative. For example, an alternating series could be written as 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 - 6 + ...

2. How do you evaluate an alternating series?

The first step in evaluating an alternating series is to determine if it is convergent or divergent. This can be done using various tests such as the Alternating Series Test or the Ratio Test. If the series is convergent, you can then use the alternating series convergence theorem to find the sum of the series.

3. What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a test used to determine the convergence or divergence of an alternating series. It states that if the terms of the series alternate in sign and decrease in magnitude, then the series is convergent.

4. What is the Ratio Test?

The Ratio Test is a test used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It states that if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, then the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

5. Can an alternating series diverge?

Yes, an alternating series can also diverge. It is important to note that the Alternating Series Test only guarantees convergence if the terms decrease in magnitude. If the terms do not decrease, the series may still converge or it may diverge. Additionally, an alternating series can also oscillate and neither converge nor diverge.