Unique λ at which X-ray and electron have same energy

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation to show that there is a unique wavelength at which X-ray photons and electrons have the same energy. The relevant equations for photons and electrons are provided, and the attempt at a solution is presented. It is pointed out that the equation does not have a unique solution, but it is clarified that the goal is to show that the wavelengths intersect. Finally, the correct equation for the intersect is given as λ = 2cm/h.
catkin

Homework Statement

Derive an equation to show that there is a unique wavelength at which X-ray photons and electrons have the same energy. Calculate this wavelength and energy.

Homework Equations

Here's what I thought was relevant. There may be others!

For photons: E = hf = h c / λ

For electrons:
λ = h / p (de Broglie)
K.E. = ½ mv^2
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

p = √(2mE)
Substituting in de Broglie
λ = h / √(2mE)
E = h^2 / 2mλ^2

Equating energies
(h c / λ)X-ray = (h^2 / 2mλ^2)electron
Gathering the constants (c, h, 2 and m -- the rest mass of an electron)
(λ)X-ray = (h / 2cm) * (λ^2)electron

... which does not have a unique solution :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't (λ)X-ray = (λ)electron?

Thanks Borek :)

(nice hair!)

That's what the question asks the answerer to show so I hope it's true! I don't think I've shown that it is so.

Writing y for (λ)X-ray, x for (λ)electron and lumping the constants together as k my attempt shows, when the X-ray and electron energies are the same,
y = k x^2

Mmm ... the more I read the question the more ambiguous it becomes. Perhaps it would help if you could translate the question into unambiguous language.

Best

Charles

Why do you still use two variables for wavelength, when you should use one?

Thanks again, Borek.

I need to show that λ = fe(E) and λ = fp(E) intersect before that is legitimate (subscript e for electron, p for photon).

With that requirement now clear ...

For photons:
λ = hc / E
= (hc) * (1 / E)

For electrons:
λ = sqrt(h^2 / 2mE)
= sqrt(h^2 / 2m) * sqrt(1 / E)

Regardless of the constant values, these functions intersect once.

At the intersect the previous equation becomes (thanks!)
λ = (h / 2cm) * (λ^2)
= 2cm / h

and the rest is trivial.

What is the significance of the unique λ at which X-ray and electron have same energy?

The unique λ, or wavelength, at which X-ray and electron have the same energy is known as the Bragg wavelength. This phenomenon is significant because it allows for the use of X-rays to determine the atomic and molecular structure of materials.

How is the Bragg wavelength calculated?

The Bragg wavelength can be calculated using the Bragg equation, which is λ = 2d sinθ, where d is the distance between atomic planes in a crystal lattice and θ is the angle of incidence of the X-ray or electron beam.

What factors affect the unique λ at which X-ray and electron have same energy?

The unique λ at which X-ray and electron have the same energy is affected by the crystal structure, lattice spacing, and angle of incidence of the X-ray or electron beam. It can also be affected by the energy of the X-ray or electron beam.

How is the Bragg wavelength used in X-ray crystallography?

In X-ray crystallography, the Bragg wavelength is used to determine the position and spacing of atoms in a crystal lattice. By measuring the angle and intensity of X-rays diffracted from a crystal, scientists can calculate the Bragg wavelength and use it to determine the atomic structure of the material.

What other applications use the unique λ at which X-ray and electron have same energy?

The unique λ at which X-ray and electron have the same energy is also used in electron diffraction techniques, such as electron microscopy and electron diffraction spectroscopy. It is also used in X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction imaging, and other analytical techniques to study the composition and structure of materials.