Circular Motion- Find the Velocity with tension, the radius, and the mass

In summary, a 530 g ball is swinging in a vertical circle at the end of a 2.9 m-long string. At the bottom of the circle, the tension in the string is 21 N. Using the 2nd law statements, it can be determined that the speed of the ball at that point is 9.3 m/s when all quantities are converted to S.I. units. The original attempt at a solution did not account for this conversion, resulting in an incorrect answer of 5.32 m/s.
Phoenixtears
SOLVED

Homework Statement

A 530 g ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a 2.9 m-long string. When the ball is at the bottom of the circle, the tension in the string is 21 N. What is the speed of the ball at that point?

Homework Equations

2nd law statements

a = V^2/r

V= (circu.)/(period)

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by drawing a force diagram as if the ball were at the bottom of the cycle. Therefor I would have Tension facing up and weight down. (The tension vector would be larger than the weight vector). There would be no normal because there is no force to act upon the ball in the normal direction. Then I concluded that the second law statements were as follows:

Max=0
May= T-mg
M(V^2/r)= T- mg (substitute in for a)
Then I just plugged in the numbers:

530(V^2/2.9)= 21- (530*9.8)
V= 5.32

However, this is not the answer. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you in advance!

~Phoenix

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All quantities should be in S.I. units ... :wink:

Hootenanny said:
All quantities should be in S.I. units ... :wink:

:cry::grumpy::blushing:

Gosh darnit! Now's the time where I just feel like crawling into a dark hole and dying... thanks for the help! :smile: (And to think I've been changin to correct S.I. units all day...)

So that means that every 530 in my equation above changes into .53 giving me a grand total of...

V= 9.3 m/s

Thank you so very much!

Have a great day!

(By the way: LOVE the avatar!)

1. How do you calculate the velocity in circular motion with given values for tension, radius, and mass?

To calculate the velocity in circular motion, you can use the formula v = √(T/mr) where T is the tension, m is the mass, and r is the radius. Simply plug in the values and solve for v.

2. What is the relation between velocity and radius in circular motion?

The velocity in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius. This means that as the radius increases, the velocity also increases, and vice versa.

3. How does the mass affect the velocity in circular motion?

The mass does not have a direct effect on the velocity in circular motion. However, it does affect the tension, which is a component in the velocity formula. A larger mass will result in a larger tension, and therefore a higher velocity.

4. Can the velocity in circular motion be negative?

Yes, the velocity in circular motion can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the defined direction of rotation.

5. How does the tension affect the velocity in circular motion?

The tension has a direct effect on the velocity in circular motion. As the tension increases, the velocity also increases. This is because tension provides the centripetal force that keeps the object in circular motion.