How much energy is dissipated by the 25 ohm resistor?

In summary, a 0.25 UF capacitor charged to 50 V is connected in series with a 25 ohm resistor and a 100 ohm resistor, and allowed to discharge completely. The energy stored in the capacitor is (1/2)CV^2, and after discharge, the potential across it is zero. Allaboutcircuits.com may have more information for solving this type of problem.
iceman887

Homework Statement

A 0.25 UF capacitor is charged to 50 V. It is then connected in series with a 25 ohm resistor and a 100 ohm resistor and allowed to discharge completely.

Homework Equations

P=I V=I^2R=(V^2)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure how to approach this problem. it hink there is formula i need that missing for calculating energy

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't remember exactly how it works, but if you go to allaboutcircuits.com you will find every bit of info for this type of problem. We actually used that site as the textbook when I took Electronics and Circuit Theory courses

The energy stored in a capacitor is (1/2)CV^2. Initially, V=50 Volts. After the capacitor is completely discharged, the potential across it is clearly zero. so how much energy must have been dissipated?

1. How is energy dissipated by a 25 ohm resistor calculated?

The amount of energy dissipated by a 25 ohm resistor can be calculated using the formula E = I^2*R, where E is energy, I is current, and R is resistance.

2. What is the relationship between resistance and energy dissipation in a 25 ohm resistor?

The higher the resistance of a 25 ohm resistor, the more energy will be dissipated as heat. This is because a higher resistance causes a larger voltage drop, leading to a larger current and thus more energy dissipation.

3. How does the voltage affect the energy dissipation in a 25 ohm resistor?

The voltage across a 25 ohm resistor directly affects the amount of energy dissipated. This is because the higher the voltage, the higher the current and thus the more energy will be dissipated in the resistor.

4. Can the energy dissipated by a 25 ohm resistor be calculated using other formulas?

Yes, the energy dissipated by a 25 ohm resistor can also be calculated using the formula E = V^2/R, where V is voltage. This formula is derived from Ohm's law, which states that V = I*R.

5. What factors can affect the amount of energy dissipated by a 25 ohm resistor?

The amount of energy dissipated by a 25 ohm resistor can be affected by various factors such as the voltage and current passing through the resistor, the material and size of the resistor, and the surrounding temperature. Additionally, the presence of other components in the circuit can also affect the energy dissipation in the resistor.