Prove Compactness of E: E=\cup^{n}_{i=1}E_{i}

• Thread starter kathrynag
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that a set E is compact if it is the union of a finite number of compact sets. The definition of compactness is given and the importance of finiteness is emphasized. The conversation also mentions the Heine Borel Theorem, which states that a set in R is compact if it is closed and bounded. The conversation concludes with a reminder that for every family of open sets, there is a finite subcover.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

If [tex]E_{1}[/tex],...[tex]E_{n}[/tex] are compact, prove that E=[tex]\cup^{n}_{i=1}[/tex][tex]E_{i}[/tex] is compact.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A set E is compact iff for every family {[tex]G_{\alpha}[/tex]}[tex]_{\alpha\in}A[/tex] of open sets such that E[tex]\subsetU_{\alpha\in}A G_{\alpha}[/tex]

Let [tex]G_{\alpha}[/tex]=[tex]E_{n}[/tex].
Let E=(i,n)
If i<x<n, there is a positive integer n such that [tex]E_{n}[/tex]<x, hence x[tex]\in[/tex][tex]G_{n}[/tex] and E[tex]\subset[/tex][tex]G_{n}[/tex].

Not quite sure about this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many definitions of compactness, depending on if you are talking about the real line, a metric space, etc. You may want to review the ones that apply for you. One method that I like to use is that a metric space is compact if and only if it is complete and totally bounded. Since in R, totally bounded and bounded is the same thing, and a closed subset of a complete metric space is complete, we can generalize to say that a subset of R is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This is the one I like to use since messing around with open covers can get messy (but if you want to do that then go ahead).

I'm still a bit confused on the proof.
So, we have [tex]E_{n}[/tex] that is closed and bounded.
I'm confused on how to do a proof that shows the subset is compact.

Are you using the definition that a set is compact if every open cover contains a finite subcover?

If so, you just have to show that an open cover of the union has a finite subcover. You simply have to construct this finite subcover using the fact that each E_i is compact.

I don't even understand your definition of a compact set, iff for any family WHAT? Then it trails into gibberish. Try saying things in words, like "a set E is compact iff for every open cover of E there is a finite subcover". If there is a finite subcover of each of the E_i (since they are compact) how can you make a finite subcover of the union of the E_i?

Katherynag, the fact that this is a union of a finite number of compact sets is crucial. And what Dick said is important: you wrote, "A set E is compact iff for every family {[tex]G_{\alpha}[/tex]} of open sets such that E[tex]\subsetU_{\alpha\in}A G_{\alpha}[/tex]". That's the "subject" of the sentence but you have no "verb"! What did you intend to say about those sets?

That makes me worry that you are memorizing definitions without really understanding them. Do you understand why, as I said before, "finiteness" is important here?

HallsofIvy said:
Katherynag, the fact that this is a union of a finite number of compact sets is crucial. And what Dick said is important: you wrote, "A set E is compact iff for every family {[tex]G_{\alpha}[/tex]} of open sets such that E[tex]\subsetU_{\alpha\in}A G_{\alpha}[/tex]". That's the "subject" of the sentence but you have no "verb"! What did you intend to say about those sets?

That makes me worry that you are memorizing definitions without really understanding them. Do you understand why, as I said before, "finiteness" is important here?

Because of the Heine Borel Theorem. If a set E[tex]\subset[/tex]R is compact iff E is closed and bounded.
Also for evey family of open sets there is a finite set.

1. What is the definition of compactness?

Compactness is a mathematical property of a set that indicates how "small" or "big" the set is. In general, a set is compact if it is both closed (contains all of its boundary points) and bounded (can be contained within a finite distance).

2. How is compactness related to the definition of E = ⋃ni=1 Ei?

In this equation, E is a union of n different sets, E1 through En. In order for E to be compact, each of the individual sets Ei must also be compact. In other words, the compactness of E is determined by the compactness of its individual components.

3. How can you prove the compactness of E = ⋃ni=1 Ei?

There are a few different ways to prove the compactness of a set. One common method is to use the Heine-Borel Theorem, which states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. Another approach is to use the definition of compactness and show that the set satisfies both criteria.

4. What are the benefits of proving compactness of a set?

Proving the compactness of a set can be useful in a variety of mathematical and scientific contexts. For example, compactness is often used in analysis and topology to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects, such as continuous functions. It can also be used to prove the convergence of sequences and series, as well as to establish the existence of solutions to differential equations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the concept of compactness?

Yes, compactness has a variety of real-world applications. In physics and engineering, compactness is used to describe the size and shape of objects, as well as to determine the stability and efficiency of structures. It is also used in economics and game theory to model decision-making processes and predict outcomes. Overall, compactness is a fundamental concept that has applications in many different fields of study.