Are Worms Linked to Cancer? An Introduction to the Connection

In summary, Professor Moonbear told me that he doesn't know much about worms and cancer research, but he is willing to help me if I ask him.
Pattielli
Would you please tell me how they are related ? I know this is a little general but could you introduce me something about them ?

Thank you very much,

Biology news on Phys.org
Professor Moonbear,
I saw you online, I deliberately posted to ask you, but you went away...

Perhaps you are busy, so please help me when you have time, Thank you very much in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you iansmith very much,
Honestly, I search and teach myself these things, independently and individually, which I think will be very hard or finally a zero might be returned but I found myself that I like it, that is why I make questions, I "go" around here and there searching for any things i don't know, I am not belonging to institutions as you may be thinking. Yes, my school has a lot different department but I amnot about engineering, I am not majoring in computer science or biology, but I was lucky(??well??) to know some sites where i read and learn all of what they say.
I know it is hard for you or anyone to believe in what i say, but that is truthful. Moonbear told that i should take some courses in other department about biology but I think that is impossible, because there are a lot reports I have to hand in each week...All the subjects are elective but a certain number of credits are needed if students want to "go up", and if the records are badly evaluated, possibilities of payment and no-money-in-pocket get higher...:smila:

Again, thank you very much,

Sorry, I haven't had much time to post recently, so just hop on for a few replies and back off again. Thanks for the vote of confidence in asking me for assistance, but this particular topic is beyond my expertise. I really don't know anything about worms and cancer research. And please, you don't need to be so formal as to call me professor! It makes me feel old :-)

Okay, Okay, I am really sorry about that...
Thank you anyway, [smila]

1. How can worms be used in cancer research?

Worms, specifically the C. elegans species, have a short lifespan and share many genetic similarities with humans. This makes them ideal models for studying the molecular mechanisms of cancer and testing potential treatments.

2. What types of cancer can be studied using worms?

Worms have been used to study a variety of cancers, including breast, prostate, colon, and skin cancer. Because they have similar cell signaling pathways and tumor suppressor genes as humans, they can provide valuable insights into the development and progression of these diseases.

3. What are the advantages of using worms in cancer research?

Aside from their genetic similarities to humans, worms are inexpensive to maintain and reproduce quickly, allowing for large-scale experiments. They also have transparent bodies, making it easy to observe and track cancer growth and response to treatments in real-time.

4. How can findings from worm studies be applied to human cancer treatment?

The molecular pathways and genes involved in cancer development and progression are highly conserved between worms and humans. Therefore, treatments that are effective in worms have a high likelihood of also being effective in humans. Additionally, worms can be used to screen for potential drug candidates that can then be further tested in human trials.

5. Are there any limitations to using worms in cancer research?

While worms have many advantages in cancer research, there are also limitations. They are much simpler organisms than humans and lack certain organs and tissues, making it difficult to study certain types of cancer. Additionally, their short lifespan may not accurately reflect the long-term effects of cancer and treatments in humans.