Bernoulli's fluid flow in a tube [desperate]

In summary, the conversation is about a final exam that is two days away and the speaker is struggling with a problem that requires knowledge of fluid dynamics. The problem cannot be solved without certain information and the speaker is seeking help.
erinec
It is 2 days before final exam and I don't even know how to solve this. I am so screwed.

Homework Statement

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9822/picture1ap8.png
(The answers written above are supposed to be the correct answers.)

Homework Equations

P + (1/2)pv2 + pgh = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried every possible way for hours and hours but none of the answers match the correct answers shown above. I would be extremely thankful for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem cannot be solved without the diameters of the pipe, or the exit pressure. To be honest, I'm not sure what you could have tried to get an answer.

IF you have the diameters. You use the conservation of mass to obtain the final velocity, assuming the fluid is incompressible, so mass flow is constant. From there, you have all but one (exit pressure) term in Bernoulli's.

Dear student,

I understand that you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed about the material on Bernoulli's fluid flow in a tube. It is normal to feel this way when faced with a difficult concept or problem, especially with a looming deadline like a final exam.

First of all, take a deep breath and try to relax. Panicking will not help you solve the problem. Instead, try to break it down into smaller parts and focus on understanding the underlying principles rather than just getting the correct answer.

One approach you could take is to review the equations and concepts related to Bernoulli's principle. Make sure you understand how pressure, velocity, and height are related in a fluid flow system. Then, carefully read and analyze the given problem, making note of any relevant information or given values.

Next, try to apply the Bernoulli's equation to the problem, keeping in mind that the total energy of the fluid remains constant throughout the tube. Remember to consider the change in pressure, velocity, and height at each point in the tube.

If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to seek help from your classmates, professor, or a tutor. Sometimes, discussing the problem with others can help you gain a new perspective and find a solution.

Finally, remember that even if you don't get the correct answer, it is important to show your work and explain your thought process. This will demonstrate your understanding of the concept and can still earn you partial credit.

Don't give up, keep trying and I am sure you will be able to solve the problem successfully. Good luck on your final exam!

1. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that in an ideal fluid flow, the sum of the static pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy remains constant along a streamline.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle apply to fluid flow in a tube?

In a tube, the velocity of the fluid increases as it passes through a narrower section, causing a decrease in pressure according to Bernoulli's principle.

3. What is the equation for Bernoulli's principle?

The equation for Bernoulli's principle is P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2, where P represents pressure, ρ represents density, v represents velocity, and h represents height.

4. How does the shape of a tube affect fluid flow according to Bernoulli's principle?

A narrower tube will cause an increase in velocity and decrease in pressure, while a wider tube will cause a decrease in velocity and increase in pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's principle in fluid flow?

Bernoulli's principle is used in various applications such as airplane wings, carburetors, and even sports equipment like golf balls. It also helps explain phenomena such as lift and the formation of clouds.