Is working with fiber optics difficult?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty and equipment required to work with fiber optic wires for a project involving temperature sensors. It is mentioned that special tools and optically-clear adhesive may be needed to properly cleave and terminate the ends of the wires. Recommendations are given for using large plastic light-pipes or buying pre-terminated cables for easier installation. The conversation also mentions the challenge of purchasing short lengths of bare fiber and suggests asking manufacturers for samples.
Topher925
This isn't really an "engineering" question but I really didn't know where else to ask. I just want to know if any of you out there have experience working with fiber optic wires and how difficult they are to work with. Is there any special equipment involved if you are not going to be splicing two cables together? What special tools are required for properly cleaving/cutting the ends? I ask because I might be taking on a project soon where I will be working with FO wires for the construction of temperature sensors. This isn't anything that would involve data transfer or anything, just sending and receiving light from a LED/photodiode back and forth. I just don't want to start this project if a considerable amount of equipment is required to cut and terminate FO wires for use as temperature sensors. From what I have read, this stuff can get rather complicated and expensive.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've worked with the cheap stuff such as is used in lamps, just to add lights to Hallowe'en makeup that didn't have room for bulbs or LED's. The only thing that I've noticed is that you have to use an optically-clear adhesive if there's any chance of it getting on the ends of the fibres. Also make sure that you have a good solid connection between the cable and the termini if there's any movement of the parts or vibration in the system.

The simplest as danger said is just to use large (1-2mm) plastic light-pipe, you can cut this with a scalpel and polish the ends on your jeans.

If you can use typical comms fibres (eg for ethernet) then just buy cables terminated with the correct sort of plugs and it is plug and play. Or you can fairly easily cleave and polish fibre ends with small portable rigs meant for fixing telecoms stuff. see http://www.lanshack.com/fiber-optic-tutorial-termination.aspx

One difficulty is buying bare fibre in less than multiple km lengths - practice your 'begging samples from manufacturers' skills (always usefol for an experimentalist!)

mgb_phys said:
One difficulty is buying bare fibre in less than multiple km lengths - practice your 'begging samples from manufacturers' skills (always usefol for an experimentalist!)
If the length needed is less than a foot or so, then my technique is to buy a cheap f/o lamp (about $3) and take it apart. :biggrin:

1. What is fiber optics and how does it work?

Fiber optics is a technology that uses thin, flexible glass or plastic fibers to transmit data through light pulses. These fibers are made of a core material surrounded by cladding, which reflects light back into the core. This allows for the transmission of data over long distances at high speeds.

2. Is it difficult to work with fiber optics?

Working with fiber optics can be challenging, especially for those with no previous experience. It requires specialized tools, equipment, and knowledge of the technology. However, with proper training and practice, it can be mastered.

3. What skills are needed to work with fiber optics?

To work with fiber optics, one needs to have a strong understanding of optics, light, and how they interact with materials. Additionally, knowledge of electronics and telecommunications is also beneficial. Attention to detail, patience, and problem-solving skills are also important for success in this field.

4. Are there any safety concerns when working with fiber optics?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with fiber optics. The fibers can be very sharp and can cause injury if not handled properly. There is also a risk of eye damage from the intense light used for testing and installation. It is important to follow safety protocols and wear protective gear when working with fiber optics.

5. What are some common challenges in working with fiber optics?

Some common challenges in working with fiber optics include maintaining proper alignment and connection of the fibers, dealing with signal loss and attenuation, and troubleshooting issues such as breaks or bends in the fibers. It is important to have a strong understanding of the technology and proper training to effectively address these challenges.