Surface integral of half sphere

In summary, the student is struggling with calculating a surface integral of a hemisphere and is confused about which values to use as boundaries. After some trial and error, they realize that the correct values to use are integrating dφ from 0 to pi and sinθdθ from 0 to pi, which gives the desired result of 2πR^2. The student also learns the importance of properly evaluating trigonometric functions.
JamesMay

Homework Statement

I am trying to sort out surface integrals in my head, and have become more confused when attempting to calculate the surface integral of a hemisphere. I am getting confused about which values to use as boundaries.

Homework Equations

da=R^2 sinθdθdφ

The Attempt at a Solution

To get half a sphere I integrated dφ between 0 and 2pi, and integrated sinθdθ between 0 and pi/2.

This gives R^2*0*2pi=0

Whereas if I integrate dφ between 0 and pi, and integrate sinθdθ between 0 and pi i get

R^2*1*pi

which is the answer I am looking for but shouldn't I get the same using both sets of boundary values? Confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
? Not if you integrate correctly! [itex]d\phi[/itex], integrated from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] is, of course, [itex]2\pi[/itex] and [itex]sin\theta d\theta[/itex] integrated from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] is [itex]-cos\theta[/itex] evaluated between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex]: -(0- (1))= 1, not 0. The half sphere area is [itex]2\pi R^2[/itex].

If, instead, you integrate [itex]d\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]sin\theta d\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] you get [itex]\pi[/itex] for the first integral and [itex]-cos(\theta)[/itex] evaluated from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], which is -(-1- (1))= 2 for the second, again getting [itex]2\pi R^2[/itex].

Oh right, I always forget that cos(0) isn't just 0. You would think I'd have learned that by now. Thanks!

1. What is a surface integral of half sphere?

A surface integral of half sphere is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total surface area of a half sphere. It involves integrating a function over the surface of the half sphere.

2. How is the surface integral of half sphere calculated?

The surface integral of half sphere is calculated by using a double integral, where the first integral represents the angle of rotation around the axis of symmetry and the second integral represents the distance from the center of the half sphere.

3. What is the formula for the surface integral of half sphere?

The general formula for the surface integral of half sphere is ∫∫f(r,θ)√(r^2 + (f'(r,θ))^2) dθdr, where r represents the distance from the center of the half sphere and θ represents the angle of rotation around the axis of symmetry.

4. What are the applications of surface integral of half sphere?

The surface integral of half sphere has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the total surface area of objects with a curved surface, such as a dome or a spherical tank. It is also used in fluid mechanics to calculate the total force exerted on a curved surface by a fluid.

5. What are some examples of problems involving surface integral of half sphere?

Some examples of problems involving surface integral of half sphere include finding the total surface area of a half sphere-shaped roof, calculating the force exerted on a hemispherical dome by a liquid, and determining the surface area of a curved surface in 3D space. These types of problems can also involve finding the mass, volume, or other properties of a half sphere-shaped object.