Interval of existence / uniqueness

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to the existence and uniqueness of solutions in differential equations. The first problem asks about the connection between the continuity of a function and its first partial derivative on a region R, and how it leads to the existence and uniqueness of a solution satisfying y(x0) = y0. The second problem asks why two different solution curves cannot intersect or be tangent at a point (x0,y0) in R, and the explanation is that a single point cannot have more than one tangent line, thus making it impossible for two solution curves to intersect or be tangent at that point. The conversation also mentions that the person is seeking help with understanding these concepts and is taking the course on their own with limited resources.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Problem 1 of 2:
Why is it that the continuity of a function in a region R and the continuity of the first partial derivative on R enables us to say that not only does a solution exist on some interval I0, but it is the only solution satisfying y(x0) = y0?

Problem 2 of 2:
Explain why two different solution curves cannot intersect or be tangent to each other at a point (x0,y0) in R.

Homework Equations

Existence of a unique solution

The Attempt at a Solution

For Problem 1, I have no clue.

For Problem 2, I am assuming that the answer is simple: it is impossible for any single point in space to have more than one tangent line (slope), thus two different solution curves cannot intersect or be tangent at a specific point within region R.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to what? What is the problem?

Dick said:
The solution to what? What is the problem?

I understand the vagueness of my post... The "problems" aren't really problems. I have read through the first chapter of my Diff Eq book and am stuck on some basics.

Primarily, I'm stuck on the proof and understanding behind the existence/uniqueness theorum and the reason why solution curves cannot intersect or be tangent at a single point.

I am taking this course completely on my own as I am unable to make it to class. I have been seeking out help online and through friends. I also have a kind-hearted friend in class who is taking notes for me and scanning/e-mailing them. Aside from that and MIT's Open CourseWare video lectures, would you have any other good pointers on getting BASIC information relating to Diff Eq? Any good sites or resources (especially for the two questions I initially posted)?

1. What is an interval of existence?

An interval of existence refers to the range of values for which a mathematical function or equation is defined and has a solution. It represents the set of values that satisfy the given conditions or constraints.

2. How is the interval of existence determined?

The interval of existence is determined by analyzing the domain and any additional constraints of the given function or equation. It is important to also consider any restrictions on the variables, such as non-negative or non-zero values.

3. What is the significance of the interval of existence?

The interval of existence is important because it tells us where the function or equation has a valid solution. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the function and identify any potential issues or limitations.

4. How is the interval of uniqueness related to the interval of existence?

The interval of uniqueness is a subset of the interval of existence. It represents the range of values for which the solution to a given equation or function is unique. In other words, it is the subset of the interval of existence where there is only one valid solution.

5. Can the interval of existence be infinite?

Yes, the interval of existence can be infinite in some cases. For example, a linear function with no restrictions on the variables will have an infinite interval of existence. However, it is important to note that even in these cases, the interval of uniqueness may still be finite.