Force needed to move a box.

• Thread starter wcbryant87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Force
In summary, the weight of the crate is 875 N and a force of magnitude 300 N is being applied to it, but it is not moving. To make it start sliding along the floor, the minimum force needed is the static coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force. The condition for when the crate will cease to be at rest and static friction is no longer valid should be considered. Once the crate is in motion, the dynamic coefficient of friction will be in effect and a smaller force will be needed to maintain its movement.
wcbryant87

Homework Statement

The weight of the crate is 875 N. You push it with a force of magnitude 300 N but it doesn't move

What is the magnitude Fp of the minimum force you need to exert on the crate to make it start sliding along the floor? Let the coefficent of the static friction [tex]\mu[/tex]s betwen the crate and the floor be 0.56 and that of kinetic friction, [tex]\mu[/tex]k, be 0.47

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving it by using the formula fk = [tex]\mu[/tex]kn but it told me that I'm going about the problem wrong. It says that I need to study the condition for which the crate ceases to be at rest, that is, the condition for which static friction ceases to be valid. I used kinetic friction though, so I don't know what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the static coefficient of friction in your formula.
Once it has started moving, the lower dynamic coefficient comes into play and a smaller force will suffice to keep it moving.

I would suggest approaching this problem by first understanding the concept of static and kinetic friction. Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion. In this case, the force you are exerting on the crate (300 N) is not enough to overcome the static friction between the crate and the floor, which is why it is not moving.

To determine the minimum force needed to make the crate start sliding, we need to consider the maximum value of static friction, which is given by the equation fs = \musn. In this case, the coefficient of static friction is 0.56, and the normal force (n) is equal to the weight of the crate (875 N). Therefore, the maximum static friction that can be exerted on the crate is:

fs = (0.56)(875 N) = 490 N

To make the crate start sliding, we need to apply a force greater than 490 N. This minimum force can be calculated by subtracting the maximum static friction (490 N) from the force you are already exerting (300 N):

Fp = 300 N - 490 N = 790 N

Therefore, to make the crate start sliding along the floor, you would need to exert a minimum force of 790 N. This is because the force you are exerting (300 N) is not enough to overcome the maximum static friction (490 N) between the crate and the floor. Once the crate starts moving, the force needed to keep it in motion will be less, as it will then be opposed by the kinetic friction, which is given by the equation fk = \mukn. The coefficient of kinetic friction (0.47) is less than the coefficient of static friction (0.56), which means that once the crate is in motion, it will require less force to keep it moving.

What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to describe the strength or intensity of a push or pull on an object.

What factors affect the amount of force needed to move a box?

The amount of force needed to move a box is affected by the mass of the box, the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface it is on, and the angle and direction of the force being applied.

How is force calculated?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, as described by Newton's Second Law of Motion: F=ma

What is the unit of measurement for force?

The unit of measurement for force is the Newton (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton.

How do you determine the direction of the force needed to move a box?

The direction of the force needed to move a box is determined by the direction of the applied force and the direction of the frictional force acting against it. The force needed to move the box will be in the opposite direction of the frictional force.