Westinghouse Internships - Advice & Experiences

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
In summary, Westinghouse is a great place for a first time intern. They are very active in many different departments and have many opportunities. If you want to specialize in reactor control, you would need some reactor physics courses and some EE courses in control theory. Control systems are updated on a regular basis, and would be a challenging field to learn in from computer engineering.
Winzer
This looks like an amazing place for a first time intern. Has anyone interned for them?
Does anyone have advice if I apply for an internship?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

In which department are you looking for.

Westinghouse, like many others are involved in so many different areas that it's hard to keep a global view of their activities.

Cheers

How about something in the Nuclear reactor R&D sector?

Hi there,

They are very active and one of the best in the world in Nuclear reactor. This is a very interesting department (also because I am a nuclear physicist).

Have you considered doing further studies? You could also look with Westinghouse to do graduate studies with them, in the practical field of reactor physics.

Just a dream of mine. cheers

That definitely sounds pretty neat, especially reactor physics.
The only thing I'm worried about is how the nuclear industry will hold up.
We[U.S.] hasn't built a new plant in a long time. Even now with the sustainability outlook it doesn't look like the public wans nuclear power.
I am no expert but it looks like the nuke industry hasn't been effected too much(by comparison) by the recession. I am worried that if I choose to specialize in say"reactor physics" I could be left in the dumps for the future.

Westinghouse (owned by Toshiba and Shaw Group) is a major supplier of commercial LWR technology. They already have several Engineering, Procurement and Construction contract (EPC) contracts in place with major US utilities. It looks like China and S. Korea are also planning to build new plants of the AP1000 design.

Westinghouse has offices in United States, Belgium, China, France, Germany, Sweden, so there are many interesting opportunities.

Any engineer should be diversified. Reactor physics is just one specialty for a nuclear engineer. One could have a knowledge of mechanics of solids and thermal-hydraulics (or fluid mechanics). If possible, look at gaining some experience with computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Also, try to get exposure to multiphysics codes like COMSOL.

Hello,

How hard would it be to get into Nuclear Engineering (controls) from Computer Engineering. Say I wanted to specialize in the Control/Sensing/Instruments and/or Communication systems used in plants. Would I need a Mechanical or Nuclear Engineering background?

Also, How often are control systems in plants updated? Or are they made and embedded during initial design?

Lacero said:
Hello,

How hard would it be to get into Nuclear Engineering (controls) from Computer Engineering. Say I wanted to specialize in the Control/Sensing/Instruments and/or Communication systems used in plants. Would I need a Mechanical or Nuclear Engineering background?

Also, How often are control systems in plants updated? Or are they made and embedded during initial design?
One would need some reactor physics courses, including one the deals with reactor kinetics. One would also need one or more EE courses in control theory, and other courses in electrical theory and circuits, likely some power electronics.

Reactor control is tied to plant control, and it's all a matter of balancing the nuclear thermal energy with the output - electrical energy and waste energy (Rankine cycle efficiency is about 30-35% depending on plant design).

Certainly software is part of it.

Upgrading the instrumentation and control system is a big deal. I'll have to ask a friend who is familiar reactor/plant control systems.

Astronuc said:
Westinghouse (owned by Toshiba and Shaw Group) is a major supplier of commercial LWR technology. They already have several Engineering, Procurement and Construction contract (EPC) contracts in place with major US utilities. It looks like China and S. Korea are also planning to build new plants of the AP1000 design.

Westinghouse has offices in United States, Belgium, China, France, Germany, Sweden, so there are many interesting opportunities.

Any engineer should be diversified. Reactor physics is just one specialty for a nuclear engineer. One could have a knowledge of mechanics of solids and thermal-hydraulics (or fluid mechanics). If possible, look at gaining some experience with computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Also, try to get exposure to multiphysics codes like COMSOL.
Thanks Astronuc.
I actually was thinking about learning COMSOL multiphysics, but I didn't know if it would used as wide as others. I think that COMSOL uses CFDs, are there any other specific type programs that you recommend? I was also thinking about taking a course in numerical partial differential equations because I know this is evolved in finite element, would this be a benefit.

Winzer said:
Thanks Astronuc.
I actually was thinking about learning COMSOL multiphysics, but I didn't know if it would used as wide as others. I think that COMSOL uses CFDs, are there any other specific type programs that you recommend? I was also thinking about taking a course in numerical partial differential equations because I know this is evolved in finite element, would this be a benefit.
I don't know if Westinghouse uses Comsol in-house, but it would be beneficial to have that experience. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is one aspect of multiphysics. There are other packages, e.g. ANSYS, ABAQUS, and NASTRAN, which seem to be the most popular. They have evolved over the past three decades or so.

Other CFD packages included CFX (now owned by Ansys, and developed by AEA Technology) and STAR-CD. There is also Fluent, also owned by Ansys.

See Ansys products here - http://www.ansys.com/products/default.asp#portfolio

One should ask in one's department or other engineering departments (Nuc Eng, Mech Eng, Civ Eng, Aero Eng) about Multiphysics and CFD codes.

A course in numerical partial differential equations with some FEA would be highly beneficial. I did similar courses in grad school in which we studied the theory and developed our own CFD methods. That was before packages like CFX and STAR-CD were widely available. Now students use various CFD/Multiphysics packages, but it is important to know the theory, in order to know how to apply a method, and what it's limitations are.

The several principals in my company actually developed proprietary FEA methods from scratch, and so they know the bases of the methods, i.e. the physics behind the analyses.

I should also mention that with respect to the vendors (W, AREVA, Mitsubishi and GEH) of the Gen 3+ plants in the US, all have a reference fuel design in place. The fuel designs are based on currently operating fuel, particularly geometry and materials, so there is little room for substantial changes. One vendor is proposing something radically new, but that is still in the research (proof) phase.

The next generation (Gen 4) plants are still in R&D, and that is mostly handled by INL (DOE). There are numerous technical issues to be resolved, e.g. materials degradation and corrosion, under the proposed environmental conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the reply Astronuc!

Thanks a lot Astronuc. So how would I find out what FEM software they use?

Winzer said:
Thanks a lot Astronuc. So how would I find out what FEM software they use?
I know Westinghouse uses ANSYS since I've seen some analyses.

For fluid dynamics, they apparently use FLUENT (ANSYS) and STAR-CD/STAR-CCM (Adapco).

Westinghouse is currently hiring senior nuclear, mechanical and structural engineers - for example - Senior Thermal-Hydraulics Engineer ( Fluid Dynamics / CFD ) job at Westinghouse Electric Company in Monroeville, PA

Position for a senior mechanical engineer
Energize your career with a dynamic global leader in the nuclear industry. Westinghouse, a group company of Toshiba Corporation, is the world's pioneering nuclear power company and is a leading supplier of nuclear plant products and technologies to utilities throughout the world. Advance your career in the dynamic nuclear power industry by joining the worldwide, motivated team of employees at Westinghouse. Nearly 50 percent of the nuclear power plants in operation worldwide, and nearly 60 percent in the United States, are based on Westinghouse technology.

We are currently seeking a Structural or Mechanical Engineer for the Nuclear Component Engineering group within Westinghouse Electric Company. The Design and Analysis team in Nuclear Component Engineering helps customers enhance the availability and reliability of their operating plants by completing analytical studies and providing designs for replacement of major components of the Nuclear Steam Supply System. Examples include Steam Generators and Pressurizers for Pressurized Water Reactors. This helps the utility extend plant life, reduce operation and maintenance costs and maintain regulatory compliance. Designs include advanced materials and features based upon 3-dimensional design tools and analyzes using modern codes and analytical methods, structural and thermal-hydraulic calculations. The team also is designing components for the AP1000 Nuclear Power Plant, the Westinghouse Advanced Passive NSSS design that is currently being built.

In this position, a Structural or Mechanical Engineer can expect to perform the following duties:

- Analyze structural components of steam generators and other hardware for commercial nuclear power plants. Analyses would include dynamic, vibratory and thermal-hydraulic calculations.
- Analyze structural components using the most up to date tools including ANSYS Workbench
- Understand and interpret design documents including drawings and calculation summaries.
- Prepare formal calculations and ASME Design Code reports.
- Review design drawings, disposition of manufacturing deviations, and development of new analysis methods.
- Interface with other disciplines such as design engineers, thermal-hydraulics engineers, materials/welding engineering, and drafting.
- Occasional travel, both domestic and international, to customer and vendor facilities to provide on-site support, presentations, or aid in issue resolution. A successful candidate would be familiar with and/or have experience with the following:

- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline with 5 years of experience.
- Masters degree in an engineering discipline is desirable.
- Registered Professional Engineering license is desirable.
- Experience with Finite element modeling and analysis is required.
- ANSYS/Workbench experience is desired.
- Experience with the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code as it relates to nuclear component analysis.

With respect to nuclear methods, they have their own proprietary methods.

1. What is the application process for Westinghouse internships?

The application process for Westinghouse internships typically involves submitting a resume and cover letter, completing an online application, and possibly participating in an interview. The exact process may vary depending on the specific internship program.

2. What types of internships are available at Westinghouse?

Westinghouse offers internships in a variety of fields, including engineering, business, finance, marketing, and human resources. They also offer both summer and year-round internships.

3. Are Westinghouse internships paid?

Yes, Westinghouse internships are paid. The exact pay rate may vary depending on the specific internship program and the location of the internship.

4. What is the duration of Westinghouse internships?

The duration of Westinghouse internships can vary, but most internships last for 10-12 weeks during the summer. Some internships may also be available year-round for longer periods of time.

5. What is the culture like at Westinghouse for interns?

Westinghouse prides itself on providing a supportive and collaborative culture for interns. Interns are given meaningful projects and opportunities to learn from experienced professionals. The company also offers networking events and social activities for interns to connect with their peers and build relationships.