Equipotential Surfaces: Understanding & Conceptual Problems

In summary, The best resource for understanding equipotential surfaces in three dimensional electric fields is the latest edition of Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity". This book is very comprehensive and includes solved problems at the end of every chapter. However, it is a difficult read and there are no good websites that cover this topic. The publisher is McGraw-Hill and the book can be found on Amazon for a high price. The problems in this edition are challenging and were solved by advanced graduate students, including one who took the course from the author himself.
kihr
I need help with developing a good understanding of equipotential surfaces corresponding to regions of three dimensional electric fields. I would appreciate if someone could refer me to a site or sites where this is comprehensively explained along with illustrations and with related conceptual problems (with solutions). Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most comprehensive coverage of electrostatics is the latest edition of Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity". It is a very difficult read, but has many solved problems at the end of every chapter. I do not know of any good web sites.

Many thanks. In case you know the publisher's name please let me know.

The publisher of Smythe "Static and Dynamic Electricity" 3rd Ed, (1968) is McGraw-Hill. Amazon has 2 copies @ $335.00. This edition uses rationalized mks units, and is different than both the 1st and 2nd editions. The problems at the end of every chapter are very difficult, and according to Smythe "all have been solved by at least one advanced graduate student." An old friend of mine took this course from Smythe at Cal Tech, and worked out ALL the problems.

Thanks a lot.

1. What are equipotential surfaces and how do they relate to electric fields?

Equipotential surfaces are imaginary surfaces that connect points in an electric field that have the same electric potential. This means that no work is required to move a charge from one point to another on an equipotential surface. They are perpendicular to the electric field lines and help visualize the strength and direction of electric fields.

2. How are equipotential surfaces represented in diagrams and equations?

In diagrams, equipotential surfaces are shown as a series of curved lines that intersect perpendicular to the electric field lines. In equations, they are represented by the equation V = constant, where V is the electric potential and the constant value is the same for all points on the surface.

3. What are some common conceptual problems when understanding equipotential surfaces?

One common problem is confusing equipotential surfaces with electric field lines. While they are perpendicular to each other, they serve different purposes in understanding the behavior of electric fields. Another problem is understanding the relationship between electric potential and the strength of the electric field, as they are inversely proportional.

4. How do equipotential surfaces help us understand the behavior of electric fields?

Equipotential surfaces allow us to visualize the strength and direction of electric fields. They also help us understand the relationship between electric potential and electric field strength, as well as the work required to move a charge within an electric field.

5. Can equipotential surfaces exist in non-uniform electric fields?

Yes, equipotential surfaces can exist in non-uniform electric fields. In these cases, the equipotential surfaces will be closer together in areas with stronger electric fields and further apart in areas with weaker electric fields.