DIY Whiteboard: Affordable Alternatives for Your Home Office

• Misc.
  • Thread starter sir_manning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of affordable alternatives to professional-quality whiteboards for personal use. Various materials such as glass, melamine bathroom siding, plastic, and plexiglass are mentioned, with one participant sharing their experience using acrylic sheets from Home Depot. The cost of these materials is also compared to the price of purchasing a real whiteboard. Participants also share their own DIY methods of obtaining a whiteboard, such as finding one in a canal or making one out of an abandoned freezer. The conversation concludes with a playful exchange between two Canadian participants.
sir_manning
G'day

If you've ever wanted a large whiteboard for your home but found the professional-quality ones too expensive, there is a relatively cheap alternative. A bit of googling turns up home-built glass, melamine bathroom siding, plastic, and plexiglass as some potential materials.

I can't speak for the effectiveness of the others, but I bought a sheet of acrylic ("Optix" by Plaskolite) and have been using it for about a month now. It's mounted on my wall with some white paper behind it. Erasing is not quite as smooth as on a real whiteboard, but some markers (and colours) come off much easier than others. I was afraid it might scratch, but so far it seems alright. If it does, there is still another side to write on.

I bought a 5 ft by 2.5 ft sheet at the Home Depot for about $40-$50 Canadian (can't remember the exact price). There were quite a few sizes to select from.

-Manning

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. The one in my office is about 2' X 3'...it cost about $10. Granted, it's cheaply made, but ~$45 seems overpriced to me, even for a large board such as the one you're making.

I'd just go to the dump and saw the side out of an abandoned freezer.

I saw a piece of white board in the canal near my house, I managed to bring it up to discover a meat (~600gr) full of sheetsts. But the white board is still usable.

I did the melmaline version a few years ago. A bit hard to erase (red markers were particularly bad), but it was very usable.

I think it was 8x5 for ~$10.

Geeze... I thought I had made a major breakthrough, now I just feel like a hoser for not posting before I bought this! The ones I was looking at were at staples, http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_skuset.asp?CatIds=3%2C214,216&name=CA%5FSK%5FQUARTET+%2D+Porcelain+On+Steel+Magnetic+Marker+Boards".

Last edited by a moderator:
sir_manning said:
I just feel like a hoser

I assume, then, that you are a fellow Canuck. :biggrin:

White boards are dirt cheap. Its the markers that take a toll on the wallet.

Danger said:
I assume, then, that you are a fellow Canuck. :biggrin:
Correct! :tongue:

Excellent! We are slowly but surely taking over.

1. How do I make a DIY whiteboard on the cheap?

To make a DIY whiteboard, you will need a smooth surface, white paint, and a dry erase marker. Start by painting the smooth surface with several coats of white paint and allow it to dry completely. Once the surface is dry, you can use the dry erase marker to write and erase on the whiteboard.

2. What is the best surface to use for a DIY whiteboard?

The best surface to use for a DIY whiteboard is a smooth and non-porous material such as glass, acrylic, or laminated wood. These surfaces will allow the dry erase marker to write and erase easily without leaving any residue.

3. Can I use any type of paint for a DIY whiteboard?

No, you should use a high-quality white paint specifically designed for whiteboards. This type of paint will provide a smooth and durable surface for writing and erasing. Using regular paint may result in a rough surface that is difficult to write on.

4. How can I make my DIY whiteboard magnetic?

To make your DIY whiteboard magnetic, you can purchase magnetic primer or paint and apply it to the surface before painting with whiteboard paint. You can also use adhesive magnetic strips or sheets to create a magnetic surface on your DIY whiteboard.

5. How do I clean my DIY whiteboard?

You can clean your DIY whiteboard by using a soft cloth or whiteboard eraser to wipe away any dry erase marker residue. For tougher stains, you can use a whiteboard cleaner or a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials as they may damage the surface of your whiteboard.