How can I calculate the magnetic field of a relativistic muon?

In summary, a muon moving at near light speed will generate a magnetic field due to its movement, similar to an electron at the same speed. To calculate the magnetic field, one must consider the negative muon current, the field due to 1 Coulomb of electrons per second, and the relativistic contraction of the EM field of a relativistic charged particle. It is also possible to detect a stream of energetic muons based on the magnetic field they produce, with a flux density of picoTesla or less.
magphys
I know this is basic stuff but my maths is truly terrible. I hope someone can help.

Assuming you have a muon moving at near light speed, it will generate a magnetic field due to its movement. I'm assuming there is no external magnetuc field present. How can I calculate the field produced please?

Physics news on Phys.org
look up a good text .. it is not as straightforward as it seems

nirax said:
look up a good text .. it is not as straightforward as it seems

Probably explains why I can't find it on the web. I don't have a text with me. I was hoping someone might know ...

magphys said:
IAssuming you have a muon moving at near light speed, it will generate a magnetic field due to its movement. I'm assuming there is no external magnetuc field present. How can I calculate the field produced please?
First, the magnetic field due to the negative muon current is the same as an electron at the same speed.
Second, calculate the field due to 1 Coulomb of electrons per second.
Third, multiply this result by 1.6 x 10-19 Coulombs per electron.
Fourth (this is the hard part), considering relativistic contraction of the EM field of a relativistic charged particle, what is the observed magnetic field of a single charged particle as a function of time?

That will be fun!

What I am really interested is knowing whether you could detect a stream of energetic muons purely by the magnetic field they produce and, if so, what kind of flux density to expect. I'm guessing picoTesla (wild guess) or less?

Anyone guess what sort of magnetic field a cosmic ray muon might produce, for instance?

This is a classic lesson in making a problem too hard. You have a current element of qv, where q is the charge of a muon and v is the velocity. Calculate the magnetic field from that and you're done.

In order to completely understand the time-dependent field of a single relativistic muon, one way is first to consider a muon at rest, and then transform it to a relativistic reference frame using the Lorentz EM transformations. See the last four lines in:
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-electromag-relations.pdf
The last four equations deal with the relativistic transformation of electric and magnetic fields. At rest, the muon has no external magnetic field. So only the last equation can transform an electric field of the muon at rest to a magnetic field of a relativistic muon.

[Added note] If you are 1 cm away from a muon with gamma = 10, the magnetic field pulse is picoseconds wide.

Last edited:

1. What is a muon?

A muon is a subatomic particle, similar to an electron, with a negative charge and a spin of ½. It is about 200 times more massive than an electron and can be created through high-energy collisions between particles.

2. How does a muon interact with a magnetic field?

A muon has a magnetic moment, meaning it has a magnetic field associated with it. When placed in an external magnetic field, the muon will experience a force and will tend to align itself with the direction of the field.

3. What is the significance of studying the magnetic field of a muon?

Studying the magnetic field of a muon can provide insight into the fundamental properties of the particle and its interactions with other particles. It can also help scientists understand the behavior of other particles in similar conditions.

4. How is the muon's magnetic field measured?

The muon's magnetic field can be measured using a device called a muon spectrometer. This device uses a combination of electric and magnetic fields to measure the trajectory of muons and determine the strength of their magnetic field.

5. What are the applications of studying muon magnetic fields?

Studying muon magnetic fields has a wide range of applications, including in particle physics research, medical imaging, and non-destructive testing. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and MRI machines.