Guys next to my room just keep turning the music with loud bass

In summary, the speaker is an international student living in a dorm with noisy neighbors who frequently play loud music. The speaker has tried to get them to stop, but to no avail. They are considering drastic measures, such as buying a big stereo and playing ethnic music, but others suggest finding a quiet place to study or using earplugs. The speaker is frustrated with the lack of action taken by dorm authorities and is considering transferring to a more academically focused college.

JasonRox said:
They move into a dorm because they want to. But are not so clueless to think that students are going to be quiet at 11am and disturb no one.
Several universities have policies such that you HAVE to live in the dorms if you're under a certain age.

Science news on Phys.org

JasonRox said:
Don't move in the dorms if you plan on studying all the time. Only an IDIOT moves into the dorms/residences and plans on studying. There are some dorms with strict rules, but if you are not in that one, you ARE screwed.

This has been happening for years. You're not going to change this lifestyle overnight. Get real. Should never have gone into the dorms.

Dorms are SUPPOSED to be for studying. The off-campus apartments are the place for the party crowd to go. Dorms are owned by the university, and therefore have an expectation that they should be a place where people can study. That is why there are staff hired to handle such problems.

I lived in dorms and worked in dorms, and the first hall meeting of the year was to determine when quiet hours began for the night and how long they lasted. Almost every year, there was a pretty good consensus that 11 PM (sometimes 11:30 PM) until 7:30 AM was when the dorm should be quiet for sleeping (or staying up late studying). Off-campus housing was notorious for noise complaints, because that's where everyone went if they wanted to party with nobody supervising (most of the slumlords renting to students couldn't care less, because they lived nowhere near that area of town).

Then again, we didn't really have too many issues in our dorms. The upperclassmen pretty much made it clear to freshmen to shut the f*** up if they were getting too loud. I think in all my time in the dorms, there was only one pair of roommates who were a persistent disruption, but nobody ended up having to move them to new housing since their parents took care of them when they ended up on academic probation their first semester. Amazing how a few Fs will straighten out a student's attitude about partying.

OK, so there seems to be a general consensus that there are officials who are responsible for maintaining order in dorms.

So why has this thread gone on for three pages?

I'm glad I can sleep through an earthquake and wake up when someone calls my name. Yell and scream all you want in the next room and I'll sleep like a baby. Open the door and I'm up in a flash. I've adapted to sleeping with loud noises being in the military and working nights most of my life.

Keep going to the next level of authority to get something done. If that doesn't work then make a friend who they will listen to. If all else fails move or adapt.

The last year of my enlistment I was living off base in an apartment building. The neighbors played their music loud all night many times. It didn't bother me. At the end of my enlistment I was leaving the apartment and I had a bunch of food and alcohol I didn't want to take with me so I knocked on the door and offered them whatever they wanted. They said that if they knew they had such cool neighbors they wouldn't have played their music so loud. As far as I know none of my roomates asked them to keep it down.

Last edited:

Last term, I was living in an upper year students dorm. It was very hard to find people in the halls. They were always quiet. Earlier, I lived in a freshmen dorm. People would party only once a two-week/month. They would lower the noise after 11 PM though. However, my school is known as one of the worst party schools.