Is it true that the derivative of 1/(random polynomial expression) is 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the product rule in differentiating equations, specifically the reciprocal of an equation. The speaker makes a mistake by not using the product rule and is reminded to do so in the future. The final derivative is provided.
iamsmooth

Homework Statement

i have for example, questions like [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^2-4}[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{x}=x^{-1}[/tex]

Derivative of a constant = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So if I rewrite

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^2-4}[/tex]

as

[tex]f(x)=1(x^2-4)^{-1}[/tex]

then I derive:

[tex] f\prime(x)=0(x^2-4)^{-1}[/tex]

Then 0 times anything is 0. Well I guess 0 divided by anything is 0 too so I don't need to rewrite, but I think it looks better. Anyways is this true in general for the reciprocal of any equation? My class hasn't really talked about it, just an observation I'm making.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, not true. You are writing 1/(x^2 -4) as a product: 1*(x^2 - 4)^(-1). If you differentiate this, you have to use the product rule. In general d/dx(f(x)*g(x)) != f'(x)*g'(x). That's your error.

Oh right, I forgot product rule :(

[tex]
f\prime(x)=0(x^2-4)^{-1} + 1(-\frac{1}{2}(4-x^2)^{-3/2}(2x)
[/tex]

So the only thing happens is we wipe out the left side, so the derivative is just:

[tex]f\prime(x)=-\frac{1}{2}(4-x^2)^{-3/2}(2x)[/tex]

Hope I don't make such bad mistakes on my midterm tomorrow :(

It's cheaper to make them here than it would be on your midterm tomorrow!

I'm betting you won't forget about using the product rule tomorrow.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of a line tangent to the curve of the function at that point.

2. How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function is calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of the change in the function over the change in the independent variable as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

3. What is a polynomial expression?

A polynomial expression is a mathematical expression that consists of variables, coefficients, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and exponentiation. It can have one or more terms, with each term having a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

4. Is it always true that the derivative of 1/(random polynomial expression) is 0?

No, it is not always true. The derivative of 1/(random polynomial expression) is only 0 when the polynomial expression is a constant or when the polynomial expression is a constant multiple of a power of the variable in the denominator. In all other cases, the derivative will not be 0.

5. What is the significance of the derivative of 1/(random polynomial expression) being 0?

The significance of the derivative being 0 is that the function is not changing at that specific point. This means that the function is either constant at that point or that it is a constant multiple of a power of the variable in the denominator, which can provide useful information about the behavior of the function.