Why Do People Make Blogs and Websites?

• Thread starter Merosia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blog
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons why people make blogs, with the main ones being personal vanity and the desire for visibility and immortality. It is noted that having an interesting life, job, or hobby can make a blog more popular. Some individuals feel that blogs and other forms of online self-promotion are conceited, while others argue that it is harmless and free. The conversation also briefly touches on the significance of the ides of March and its connection to Test Cricket.
Merosia
Hello, I am a 2nd year student of socoial science department

I am racking my brain why people make a blog, I have tried once but no body answers, i like my blog to have as many people's replies as this site's

I have read several blogs that have a bunch of replies
Though I don't know what the blog is for actuilly

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm..personal vanity and the desire to gain visibility&immortality in some ways are, I think, some of the reasons why people make blogs.

If the ancient Romans had had the ability to blog, they would have done so.

Last edited:
Blogs are writtin by people who think they have interesting lives, jobs or hobbies that they wish to share. A very rare few actually do have interesting lives, jobs or hobbies, and it is these people who have popular sites.

You can't make people find your site popular. All you can do is have something you love (or hate) and write about it. If you write well, and it rings true with other people, eventually they may come back.

Me, I post my photography.

Beware the ides of Roman blogs:smile:

fuzzyfelt said:
:biggrin:

fuzzyfelt said:
:biggrin: Went over my head.

Blogs, video blogs, and all that other stuff seems sort of conceited to me. People will, for example, make a video response to another video. And all that video is is a video of them making a comment about the other video. Well they could've just typed that into the comments section. But no, they think their comment is more important than the regular people's comments, so there needs to be a special place for it.
I actually feel sorry for the people who read other random people's blogs. And it seems conceited to me to write them because it's as if they think they're important enough that people around the world should care what they do or think on a daily basis.

leroyjenkens said:
I actually feel sorry for the people who read other random people's blogs. And it seems conceited to me to write them because it's as if they think they're important enough that people around the world should care what they do or think on a daily basis.

It is conceited, yes. A personal blog is synonymous with "Lookit me lookit me!"

So what though? What's wrong with people tooting their own horns? It's free, and no one's putting a gun to the head of any readers.

The OP is a previously banned member, in case you're wondering why they're gone.

DaveC426913 said:
:biggrin: Went over my head.

You were concentrating on being kind and thoughtful, I wasn't.:smile:

Yes, Andre, those ides. Your link posed a question about alternative significance of the ides. It seems Test Cricket was began on the ides in 1876, which didn't auger well for Australia this year.

1. Why do people create blogs and websites?

People create blogs and websites for a variety of reasons. Some may do it as a hobby, to share their thoughts and experiences with others. Others may do it as a way to market their business or brand. Some people create blogs and websites as a creative outlet or to build an online portfolio. Ultimately, the reasons for creating a blog or website vary from person to person.

2. What are the benefits of having a blog or website?

Having a blog or website can provide a platform for self-expression and sharing knowledge or expertise with a wider audience. It can also be a way to connect with others who have similar interests and build a community. For businesses, having a website can increase visibility and potentially attract new customers. Additionally, having a blog or website can improve one's writing and technical skills.

3. Is it difficult to create and maintain a blog or website?

The difficulty level of creating and maintaining a blog or website depends on the individual's technical skills and the platform they choose to use. There are many user-friendly website builders and blogging platforms available that make it easy for people with little technical knowledge to create and maintain a website. However, it does require time and effort to consistently update and maintain a blog or website.

4. Can anyone start a blog or website?

Yes, anyone can start a blog or website. There are no specific qualifications or requirements to create a blog or website. As long as one has access to a computer and the internet, they can start a blog or website. However, it is important to consider the purpose and target audience of the blog or website before starting it.

5. Are there any downsides to having a blog or website?

One potential downside of having a blog or website is the time and effort required to maintain it. It can also be challenging to attract and retain a consistent audience. Additionally, there may be costs associated with purchasing a domain name and hosting for the website. However, for many people, the benefits of having a blog or website outweigh any potential downsides.