Is Studying on Halloween Night Worth the Sacrifice?

• Thread starter Monocerotis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, a group of individuals discuss their past experiences studying on holidays and weekends rather than partying. They share different ways they have managed to have fun while still studying, such as having a hall decorating contest or listening to music. Some express feeling like "losers" for studying on Halloween night, but others see it as a badge of honor. One person mentions struggling with insomnia due to having brilliant ideas late at night. Another person talks about spending their Halloween alone and feeling depressed. Others offer support and suggest ways to make studying on holidays more enjoyable. The conversation also touches on birthdays falling on Halloween and celebrating after important academic events.
Monocerotis
Gold Member
Join the loser crew

Physics news on Phys.org
Monocerotis said:
Join the loser crew

Lol what's wrong with staying in on halloween night?

When I was in college, I studied nearly every Friday and Saturday night, Halloween, my birthday, cinco de mayo, St Patrick's Day, etc...all the traditional "party" days.

It's a badge of honor, and what binds us geeky nerds together :approve:!

Same here, when I was in college. We did take time out for a little fun though. We'd have a hall decorating contest in the dorm (until the fire inspectors made us take down all the decorations). We did have a party on Halloween night, but not the wild ones like the students in frats or off-campus did, just someone's stereo with CDs and chips and dip and soft drinks...basically an excuse to wear a costume and dance for a couple hours, let off a little steam, and then go back to studying.

I saved up the wild partying for grad school...by then we desperately NEEDED a night or two a year of crazy parties.

I am not sure if I should say I am proud to be studying on Halloween night or not. Even worse, it is a Saturday night. Even worse, my girlfriend is busy so I am unable to talk to her very much today.

Wow, that makes me seem like a depressing person. Well, I am in a good mood regardless. :smile: I tend to study on most weekends and holidays, anyway.

I'm 2 weeks behind on homework and have papers to grade. I don't care what today is.

Been working since 8 AM this morning (about 12 hours to now) and still going ... I am not trying to impress my supervisor neither I am given tight deadline but I have an interesting project. And, I cannot help - find it hard to sleep sometimes because brilliant ideas hit at 2 AM :D

pbandjay said:
I am not sure if I should say I am proud to be studying on Halloween night or not. Even worse, it is a Saturday night. Even worse, my girlfriend is busy so I am unable to talk to her very much today.

Wow, that makes me seem like a depressing person. Well, I am in a good mood regardless. :smile: I tend to study on most weekends and holidays, anyway.

Are you kidding? You have a girlfriend. That already puts you way ahead of all the other losers around here. :biggrin: :rofl: If she's busy and you can't hang out anyway, why not spend the night studying so you can spare the time when she is free? See...it all works out.

I am sitting at home drinking and playing video games. All my friends are working or trick or treating with their kids.

Ooo and the nachos are ready. :-)

Here I sit on a lonesome, uneventful Halloween night, watching PBS. Pondering whether or not to end my life finally. I don't like holidays.

Equate said:
Here I sit on a lonesome, uneventful Halloween night, watching PBS. Pondering whether or not to end my life finally. I don't like holidays.

You need help.

I'm working AND studying. At least I get paid overtime to repeat 1-2 AM tonight...

Sorry! said:
You need help.

I know.

Equate said:

Thank you! Now, I don't feel like that much of a loser. At least I don't watch PBS and develop suicidal thoughts :biggrin:

rootX said:
Thank you! Now, I don't feel like that much of a loser. At least I don't watch PBS and develop suicidal thoughts :biggrin:

:rofl: Yeah...PBS...

So I was not the only one working last night.. at least we don't celebrate Halloween over here but I did miss a beer festival and some good movies :frown:

I sat on the porch and handed out candy to ghosts, monsters, skeletons, and ballerinas. However, it was a dark and stormy night, so you could hardly give the stuff away. I had an old candle in a jar that I wanted to use in the Jack o'Lantern, but the wick had melted away. I didn't have any string, but I drilled a hole in the candle anyway, rolled up some tissue paper and inserted it into the hole. Much to my surprise, it worked. However, it didn't throw enough light to turn Jack into a lantern, so I broke down and bought a new candle.

Halloween is my birthday and I have spent it studying before. Although this year for my birthday I decided to watch my brand new TV and go to bed early as friday I had my two hour thesis defense and was out at a party until 3am.

Topher925 said:
Halloween is my birthday and I have spent it studying before. Although this year for my birthday I decided to watch my brand new TV and go to bed early as friday I had my two hour thesis defense and was out at a party until 3am.

Happy Belated Birthday, Topher :smile:!

Topher925 said:

Happy belated Birthday and congrats on the thesis defense being over! :biggrin: That sounds like a good birthday present to have that done and a weekend free to celebrate.

1. What are the benefits of studying on Halloween night?

Studying on Halloween night allows you to have a quiet and distraction-free environment, as most people are out celebrating. It also gives you the opportunity to catch up on missed work or prepare for upcoming exams.

2. How can I stay focused while studying on Halloween night?

To stay focused while studying on Halloween night, it is important to set specific goals and take regular breaks. You can also try studying in a well-lit and comfortable environment and listen to classical or instrumental music to help you concentrate.

3. Is it better to study alone or with a group on Halloween night?

This depends on your personal preference and study style. Some people find it more productive to study alone, while others may benefit from studying with a group and discussing the material. Consider what works best for you and plan accordingly.

4. How can I make studying on Halloween night more fun?

You can make studying on Halloween night more fun by incorporating Halloween themes into your study session. For example, you can use Halloween-themed flashcards or study in a costume. You can also reward yourself with some Halloween treats after completing a set amount of studying.

5. Should I take a break from studying on Halloween night and join in the festivities?

It ultimately depends on your schedule and priorities. If you have important exams coming up, it may be best to focus on studying. However, if you have been keeping up with your studies and need a break, it is okay to join in the Halloween festivities for a short while. Just make sure to balance it with your studying time.