Angular Velocity of a turntable after weights are added

In summary, Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point, measured in radians or degrees per second. It is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. Factors such as mass, distribution of weights, shape, and external forces can affect the angular velocity of a turntable. Adding weights increases the moment of inertia and decreases the angular velocity, while reducing the moment of inertia or increasing applied force can increase the angular velocity.
doneganstm
A 2.0 {\rm kg}, 20-cm-diameter turntable rotates at 100 {\rm rpm} on frictionless bearings. Two 500 {\rm g} blocks fall from above, hit the turntable simultaneously at opposite ends of a diagonal, and stick. What is the turntable's angular velocity, in rpm, just after this event?

I'm not quite sure on how to set this one up or what equation to use, can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi doneganstm! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Hint: conservation of angular momentum. :smile:

This scenario can be solved using the principle of conservation of angular momentum. The initial angular momentum of the turntable is given by L1 = I1*ω1, where I1 is the moment of inertia of the turntable and ω1 is its initial angular velocity. After the blocks are added, the moment of inertia of the turntable changes to I2 = I1 + 2mr^2, where m is the mass of the blocks and r is the distance from the center of the turntable to the point of impact. The final angular velocity of the turntable, ω2, can be found using the equation L1 = L2, which implies I1*ω1 = I2*ω2. Plugging in the values, we get:

I1*ω1 = (I1 + 2mr^2)*ω2

Solving for ω2, we get:

ω2 = (I1*ω1)/(I1 + 2mr^2)

Substituting the values given in the question, we get:

ω2 = (1/2*2*π*100)/(1/2*2*π*100 + 2*0.5*0.2^2) = 83.33 rpm

Therefore, the turntable's angular velocity just after the event is 83.33 rpm.

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate at which an object rotates or turns around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is Angular Velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians or degrees) by the change in time. The formula is: ω = ∆θ / ∆t, where ω is the angular velocity, ∆θ is the change in angle, and ∆t is the change in time.

3. What factors affect the Angular Velocity of a turntable?

The angular velocity of a turntable can be affected by the mass and distribution of weights added to the turntable, the shape and size of the turntable, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does adding weights to a turntable affect its Angular Velocity?

Adding weights to a turntable will increase its moment of inertia, which is the resistance of an object to changes in its rotation. This means that more force is required to change the angular velocity of the turntable, resulting in a slower angular velocity.

5. How can the Angular Velocity of a turntable be increased?

The angular velocity of a turntable can be increased by decreasing the moment of inertia, which can be achieved by reducing the mass or redistributing the weights on the turntable. Increasing the applied force or reducing any external forces can also increase the angular velocity.