EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building an RC plane with an eStatic generator and testing its aerodynamics with and without an eStatic field applied to the wings. There is some speculation on the feasibility of this idea due to potential static charges and the need for controlled airflow measurements. Suggestions are made to test in a wind tunnel, in front of a car, or to find a previous study on the topic.
Arctic Fox
Here’s my idea:

I want to build a RC plane.
Inside would house an eStatic generator.
The wings of the plane to be made from aluminum.
A high-voltage static field would be applied to the wings during flight - turned on/off by the remote.

I’d like to test the aerodynamics of the plane with and without an eStatic field aplied to the wings.

Has anyone here done this - before I get started on this experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be possible only if flown in very low humidity conditions. Then I suspect you’ll shortly have a flying dust ball. Of course in dry conditions the airplane may acquire a static charge simply by moving through the air. In any case the wing surfaces must have no sharp edges, especially points. In short I don’t think it’s feasible. You might try a bi-plane configuration where you can maintain an e-field between the wings if that’s any help.

You should know it has been employed yet the magneto-hidrodinamic boundary layer control, in order to avoid the flow separation. It works with conductors liquids.

Hi

I don't think using an RC plane is going to tell you anything because you won't be able to measure lift or drag in a controlled airflow.
I have flown RC soarers compedativly and can tell you flight times
can vary from 2 to more than 40 min so duration is not going to tell you anything either.

You have 3 choices

1. Test in a wind tunnel.

2. Mount a model in the free flow in front of a car so you can control incidence and airspeed and lift, drag and moment forces and conduct
your tests in very still conditions on a good flat and isolated road.

3. Try and find some test or study report where this has been done before.

Ps. Plastic heat shrink coverings comonly used on RC planes can charge up
in flight.

Regards,
Ken

1. What is an EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings?

An EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings is a type of electric field that is generated when an aircraft is flying through the air. This field is created by the friction between the air molecules and the surface of the wing, and it can have positive or negative charges depending on the conditions.

2. How does an EStatic Field affect the performance of an aircraft?

The EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings can affect the performance of an aircraft in several ways. It can cause disturbances in the airflow over the wings, which can lead to decreased lift and increased drag. It can also interfere with the communication and navigation systems on the aircraft.

3. Can an EStatic Field be dangerous for passengers on an aircraft?

In most cases, an EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings is not dangerous for passengers. The field is usually weak and dissipates quickly once the aircraft lands. However, in rare cases, the field can cause a buildup of static electricity, which can potentially lead to a small shock when passengers touch metal surfaces inside the aircraft.

4. How do engineers and designers mitigate the effects of an EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings?

Engineers and designers use various methods to mitigate the effects of EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings. These include using special materials that conduct electricity, installing static discharge wicks to release any built-up static electricity, and designing the shape of the wing to minimize disturbances in the airflow.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for managing EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by aviation authorities that require aircraft manufacturers to address the effects of EStatic Field on Aeroplane Wings. These regulations ensure that aircraft are designed and built to minimize any potential safety risks caused by the static electricity generated during flight.