What is the solution for the honeycomb resistor problem?

• Thread starter ermines
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a honeycomd-like structure and the task is to find the total resistance and current passing through a specific resistor. The conversation includes various attempts at solving the problem, including using Kirchhoff's laws and using a computer algebra software. The final solution involves simplifying the circuit by starting at the outside and using symmetry to reduce the number of variables. The conversation ends with a question about using Kirchhoff's laws to find the solution.
ermines
well i hope someone knows how to solve this problem... :smile:

well you see in the picture that there is a honeycomd-like circuit...every line that comprises the honeycomb has a resistor with a resistance of R...meaning in a hexagon, there are six resistors...

the question is to find the total resistance or Req...and also the current (I) passing through the one i indicated in the drawing

sorry for the drawing if it is not to accurate...

i got the answer of 3R for the Req and one-third for the I...is this correct...actually what I'm looking for is the shortest solution that would solve the problem...maybe a two liner will be ...

thanks...

hmmmmmmm, i hope the pic would be posted soon...

Attachments

• honeyc.jpg
    honeyc.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My 1st idea was that currents distribute equally in the parallel lines, i.e., 1/3-1/3-1/3, and 1/4-1/4-1/4-1/4. But that doesn't work with the voltages.
My 2nd idea was that current would distribute binomially in the parallel lines, i.e. 1/4-1/2-1/4, and 1/8-3/8-3/8-1/8. But that doesn't work with voltages, either.
Next, tried it with Kirchhoff's rules, but got a very nasty system of equations, couldn't solve.
Anyone who got a good computer algebra software will get the result easily if he just inputs Kirchhoff's rules right...!
However, I'm convinced there is an easy solution which I am just too blind to see.

still waiting...

anyone with the software to do the job...

Solved it

Let total current = 1, then the currents in the upper branches are 1/2, 5/16, and 3/16. With this information, you can easily find the answer.

is my answer correct:

Req = 3R
I = 1/3:wink:

No. How did you get this answer?

hmmmmmmm. got the answer...

with the help of MS Excel, the answer is 61/16 or something about 2.8...

right?

Originally posted by ermines
the answer is 61/16
Correct.

hhahahha...i was correct...excel never makes a mistake...

but could you elaborate to me how you got it...the manual way, i mean...

any short-cuts for this...

Always start at the 'outside'. Take resistors that are joined at simple nodes and simplify the circuit. You will find that as you simplify it gets much easier than it looks. If all resistors are the same then you can simplify to reduce the number of resistors starting at the power supply leads also. For instance, if all resistors are the same, you can reduce the left 4 resistors to one resistors since the current HAS TO BE THE SAME IN EACH ONE. Just keep working.

Doc's method may be easier than mine...

Well, what I did was, first use the symmetry of the problem. There's only 7 currents J1...J7 you have to find. See here:

http://home.t-online.de/home/b_c.kuss/honeyc2.jpg

Can you use Kirchhoff's laws to write down enough equations so there's a unique solution?

Last edited:

What is a honeycomb resistor?

A honeycomb resistor is a type of resistor that is designed in a hexagonal shape resembling a honeycomb. It is typically used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electric current.

What is the purpose of a honeycomb resistor in a circuit?

The purpose of a honeycomb resistor in a circuit is to limit or regulate the flow of electric current. This is important in order to prevent damage to the circuit or other components.

What is the common problem associated with honeycomb resistors?

The most common problem associated with honeycomb resistors is overheating. This can be caused by excessive current flowing through the resistor, which can lead to damage and failure of the resistor or other components in the circuit.

How can the honeycomb resistor problem be prevented?

The honeycomb resistor problem can be prevented by using resistors with a higher power rating, ensuring proper ventilation for the circuit, and avoiding overloading the circuit with too much current.

What are some potential solutions for a honeycomb resistor problem?

If a honeycomb resistor problem occurs, it can be solved by replacing the damaged resistor with a new one, using resistors with a higher power rating, or adding additional resistors in parallel to distribute the current and prevent overheating.