Integration by Parts with sin and ln(x)

In summary, the method to use for integrating a function is up to the individual, with choices such as u-substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric integrals, trigonometric substitution, and partial fraction. However, according to the conversation, the best method for the given function is integration by parts. Through various attempts and suggestions, the correct answer was found to be 1/2 (-sin(lnx) - cos(lnx)/x). Additionally, differentiating the answer can be used as a method to check for accuracy. Another alternative method for integration is differentiation with respect to a parameter.
Ayesh

Homework Statement

The method to use to integrate the function is up to us.
The choices are:
1) U-substitution
2)Integration by Parts
3)Trigonometric integrals
4)Trigonometric substitution
5)Partial fraction

Homework Equations

According to me, the best way to do it is to use Integration by Parts.

Here is the function:

[tex]\int[/tex]sin(ln(x))/x2

The Attempt at a Solution

u=sin(lnx)
du=cos(lnx)/x dx
dv=1/x2 dx
v=-1/x

[tex]\int[/tex]sin(lnx)/x2 dx = -sin(lnx)/x - [tex]\int[/tex] -cos(lnx)/x2 dx
= -sin(lnx)/x + [tex]\int[/tex] cos(lnx)/x2 dx
= -sin(lnx)/x + (-cos(lnx)/x2 - [tex]\int[/tex] sin(lnx)/x dx

2 [tex]\int[/tex] sin(lnx)/x2 dx = -sin(lnx)/x - cos(lnx)/x2 dx

[tex]\int[/tex]sin(lnx)/x2dx = 1/2(-sin(lnx)/x - cos(lnx)/x2)

According to Maple, the answer is 1/2((-2sin(lnx) - 2cos(1/2ln(x))2 + 1 + 2sin(1/2ln(x))cos(1/2lnx))/x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ayesh! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Ayesh said:
…Int sin(lnx)/x^2 dx = 1/2(-sin(lnx)/x - cos(lnx)/x^2)

No, almost but not quite …

(and I'm afraid what you've written is too difficult to read for me to work out where the error was :redface:
According to Maple, the answer is 1/2((-2sin(lnx) - 2cos(1/2ln(x))^2 + 1 + 2sin(1/2ln(x))cos(1/2lnx))/x

oh, this is just Maple going beserk :rolleyes:

if you simplify that, you'll get something much more sensible :wink:

The answer Maple gave me is simplified.

Ayesh said:
The answer Maple gave me is simplified.

really?? simplify it some more! :smile:

This is the most simplified answer Maple gives me :

-(1/2)*(2sin(lnx)+2cos((1/2)ln(x))2-1-2sin((1/2)lnx)*cos((1/2)lnx))/x

You're human! Maple isn't! :rolleyes:

simplify it some more! :smile:

(alternatively, try the integration by parts again, only more neatly, and see if it comes out right this time :wink:)

I've redone the integration by hand and my answer now is:

[tex]\int[/tex]sin(lnx)/x2 = 1/2 (-sin(lnx) + cos(lnx)/x)

Closer, but you flipped a sign somewhere.

You can always differentiate your answer and see if you recover the integrand to see if your answer is correct.

Hi Ayesh! :smile:

(what happened to that ∫ i gave you? :wink:)
vela said:
Closer, but you flipped a sign somewhere.

You can always differentiate your answer and see if you recover the integrand to see if your answer is correct.

I strongly agree. :smile:

Getting the sign wrong in integration by parts is notoriously easy,

so it's essential to check the answer by differentiating it (especially if the question has obviously been designed to put in as many minuses as possible!) :wink:

I found my mistake, thank you!

Differentiating was a good idea :)

You could also have substituted x = exp(u) and then have done the partial integration. In that case there is an alternative method to partial integration that is not on your list:

6) Differentiation w.r.t. to a parameter.

If 6) works that's usually a lot easier than partial integration.

1. What is the formula for integration by parts with sin and ln(x)?

The formula for integration by parts with sin and ln(x) is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u is the algebraic function and dv is the trigonometric function.

2. How do you choose u and dv when using integration by parts with sin and ln(x)?

When using integration by parts with sin and ln(x), it is recommended to choose u as ln(x) and dv as sin(x). This is because the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, which simplifies the integration, and the integral of sin(x) is -cos(x), which can be easily integrated again.

3. Can integration by parts with sin and ln(x) be used for any type of integral?

No, integration by parts with sin and ln(x) is most effective for integrals that involve a product of a trigonometric function and a logarithmic function. It may not work for other types of integrals.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts with sin and ln(x)?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts with sin and ln(x) include choosing the wrong functions for u and dv, forgetting to include the minus sign when integrating dv, and not simplifying the integral after the first integration by parts step.

5. Are there any alternative methods to integration by parts with sin and ln(x)?

Yes, there are alternative methods to integration by parts with sin and ln(x) such as substitution, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions. Depending on the integral, these methods may be more efficient and easier to use.