Why coefficients in affine combination should add up to 1

In summary, the coefficients in an affine combination must add up to 1 because it allows for different origins to be chosen without affecting the resulting translation. This enables the coefficients to be rewritten using vectors, making it easier to understand and visualize the concept. However, it is important to note that this only holds true for the same combination of vectors with coefficients summing to 1.
martijnh
Hello there,

I have trouble understanding why the coefficients in an affine combination should add up to 1; From the wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affine_space#Informal_descriptions) it's mentioned that an affine space does not have an origin, so for an translation different origins can be chosen, which will result in different translations. They then mention that because the coefficients add up to 1, different solutions to point/vector translations will result the same result?

I can see how the restriction enables the coefficients to be rewritten as translations using vectors: P = a1 * p1 + a2 * p2 => a1 = 1 - a2 => P = p1 + a2 * (p2 - p1) => P = p1 + a2 * v

Though I can follow these steps, I don't understand why expressing it using vectors would be beneficial... More specifically I do not see why this property will cause all possible solutions in affine space to describe one and the same affine structure.

I can picture visually that when I choose a different origin in my affine space, I will get different vectors when for example I add them. I also see that using scalars (coefficients) of existing vectors in affine space, I can define a result vector.

Could anyone help?

Thanks!

Martijn

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the informal description on wikipedia, and then try out a simple example to convince yourself that whichever point is chosen as the origin, a linear combination of vectors will give the same result if the sum of the coefficients is 1.

eg. let a=(1 1) and b=(0 1). Consider the linear combination:1/2*a + 1/2*b. If the origin is chosen to be (0 0) then this will give a result of (1/2 1).

Now let the origin be (1 1). Then 1/2*a + 1/2*b = (1 1) + 1/2*[a-(1 1)] + 1/2*[b-(1 1)] = (1 1) + (0 0) + (-1/2 0) = (1/2 1).

Last edited by a moderator:
mrbohn1 said:
Have a look at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affine_space" , and then try out a simple example to convince yourself that whichever point is chosen as the origin, a linear combination of vectors will give the same result if the sum of the coefficients is 1.

eg. let a=(1 1) and b=(0 1). Consider the linear combination:1/2*a + 1/2*b. If the origin is chosen to be (0 0) then this will give a result of (1/2 1).

Now let the origin be (1 1). Then 1/2*a + 1/2*b = (1 1) + 1/2*[a-(1 1)] + 1/2*[b-(1 1)] = (1 1) + (0 0) + (0 1/2) = (1/2 1).

Thanks for clearing that up! So this only holds when you use the same lineair combination for both origins? I got confused because fx both 1/2, 1/2 and 3/4, 1/4 would be valid affine combinations...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - only the same combination of vectors (with coefficients summing to 1) will give the same result. That is the point: we can talk about distance and direction in an affine space without needing to refer to an origin.

Hello Martijn,

Thank you for your question. The reason why coefficients in an affine combination should add up to 1 is related to the definition of an affine space. An affine space is a mathematical concept that generalizes the notion of Euclidean space, which is the familiar three-dimensional space we live in. In an affine space, there is no fixed origin point, unlike in Euclidean space where the origin is fixed at (0,0,0). This means that any point in an affine space can serve as the origin, and all points are described relative to this origin.

Now, let's consider an affine combination of two points, P1 and P2, which are represented by vectors p1 and p2, respectively. An affine combination of these points can be written as P = a1 * P1 + a2 * P2, where a1 and a2 are coefficients. These coefficients represent the relative weights of each point in the combination. So, if a1 = 0.5 and a2 = 0.5, the resulting point P will be located exactly halfway between P1 and P2.

The reason why the coefficients must add up to 1 is because this ensures that the resulting point P is independent of the choice of origin. Let's say we choose a different origin point, O, and we want to calculate the same affine combination P = a1 * P1 + a2 * P2 relative to this new origin. In this case, the new vectors representing P1 and P2 will be p1' = P1 - O and p2' = P2 - O. Applying the same affine combination formula, we get P' = a1 * p1' + a2 * p2' = a1 * (P1 - O) + a2 * (P2 - O). Expanding this equation, we get P' = (a1 * P1 + a2 * P2) - (a1 * O + a2 * O). But since the coefficients add up to 1, a1 + a2 = 1, and therefore a1 * O + a2 * O = O. This means that P' = P - O, which is the same as the original point P.

In other words, the affine combination formula with coefficients adding up to 1 ensures that the resulting point is independent of the choice of origin, and therefore describes the same affine structure regardless

1. Why do coefficients in an affine combination need to add up to 1?

Coefficients in an affine combination represent the weights or proportions that each term contributes to the overall sum. Therefore, in order to ensure that the combination is properly weighted and the resulting sum is meaningful, the coefficients must add up to 1.

2. Can the coefficients in an affine combination be negative?

Yes, the coefficients in an affine combination can be negative. This means that the corresponding terms will have a negative impact on the overall sum, effectively subtracting from the total.

3. What happens if the coefficients in an affine combination do not add up to 1?

If the coefficients in an affine combination do not add up to 1, the resulting sum will not accurately represent the original values. The combination will be improperly weighted and the resulting sum will be incorrect.

4. Are coefficients in an affine combination always numbers?

No, coefficients in an affine combination can also be variables or functions. This allows for more flexibility in the weighting of terms in the combination.

5. How are coefficients in an affine combination related to linear combinations?

Coefficients in an affine combination are a generalization of coefficients in a linear combination. Linear combinations have coefficients that add up to 1, while affine combinations allow for coefficients that add up to any constant value.