Help with Questions on Length, Sound, Heat, & Motion

In summary, length is a measurement of the size of an object or distance between two points while distance is the amount of space between two points regardless of object size. Sound travels in waves through a medium and is detected by our ears. Heat is the transfer of thermal energy while temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy. Speed measures how fast an object is moving while velocity takes into account both speed and direction. Motion can affect an object's energy by increasing kinetic energy and decreasing potential energy, as well as transferring energy through collisions.
ReMa
Hi There,

I have a handful of questions I need help with and figured compiling them in one thread was the best option. For the most part, I've added these because I just don't know where to start and can't figure it out at all. Here we go!QUESTION ONE:

Homework Statement

A bar of copper with length 2.635m and a bar of Aluminum with length 2.628m are sitting at room temperature, T1 = 25C. At what temperature, T2, will the two have the same length?
The coefficient of thermal expansion of copper is 1.60x10-7 K-1 and of Aluminum is 2.25x10-7 K-1.

Homework Equations

Linear Thermal Expansion: [tex]\Delta[/tex]L=[tex]\alpha[/tex]Lo[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
Lo = initial Length

The Attempt at a Solution

The given choice of answers are in C, so I figured I had to convert the thermal expansion coefficients to C-1 but wasn't quite sure how to do that.

K = C + 273

I figured the expansion would be Lo + [tex]\Delta[/tex]L

I set that eq. for the Al and Cu bars equal, subbing in the [tex]\Delta[/tex]L with the equation above. My answer is off though, and I'm not sure if it's a matter of because I didn't convert my per Kelvin to per Celsius or what. I think it's an algebra thing but maybe I'm way off.

QUESTION TWO:

Homework Statement

The sound level at a point X is 14db below the sound level at a point 1.0m from a point source. The distance from the source to point X is:
a) 2.0m
b) 25m
c) 5.0m
d) 20.2m
e) 4.0m

Homework Equations

Decibels = 10 log (I/Io)

Io = threshold of hearing = 1x10-12 W/m2

I don't know where to start with this one!QUESTION THREE:

Homework Statement

A heat conducting rod, 1.60m long, is made of an Al section, 0.90m long, and a Cu section, 0.70m long. Both sections have a cross sectional area of 0.0004m2. The Al end and the copper end are maintained at temperatures of 30C and 170C respectively. The thermal conductivieis of Al and Cu are: kal = 205 W/m K and kcu = 385 W/m K. The rate at which heat is conducted is:
a) 10W
b) 9W
c) 7.9W
d) 12W
E) 11W

Homework Equations

Q = (kA[tex]\Delta[/tex]T)t/L

I couldn't figure out how to fit the t (time) into this at all, so perhaps I'm using the wrong equation?
k values were all given
A = 0.0004m2
[tex]\Delta[/tex]T = 170-30 = 140C

Otherwise, I am also confused with this one. Do I need to find a separate Q for both materials (Al and Cu)? And if so, what happens to that t (time) value?QUESTION FOUR:

Homework Statement

A proton is fixed in place. A second proton is released from rest at a point 1.0cm away What will be the velocity of the second proton when it is a very large distance from the first?

Homework Equations

Not sure, Wnc = 1/2 mvf2 ?

Proton at rest = vo = 0m/s
Proton mass = 1.67 x 10-27 kg

QUESTION FIVE:

Homework Statement

A bus is moving at 37.00m/s towards a wall. The sound from the bus has an original wavelength of 0.1500m. The sound from the bus reflects off the wall. What frequency sound does an observer on the moving bus hear from the reflection??

Homework Equations

Moving Observer: fo = fs (1 + vo/v)
v = [tex]\lambda[/tex]f

Is this doppler effect??

I'm assuming the wavelength will double given that it reflects off a wall?

So, [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2(0.1500m) = 0.300m

vo = 37.00m/s

Since v = [tex]\lambda[/tex]f

vi = [tex]\lambda[/tex]fi
f = v / [tex]\lambda[/tex]
= (343m/s)(0.1500) = 2286.667hz

Subbing into equation:

fo = (2286.667hz)(1 + 37m/s / 343m/s) = 2533hz

Is that correct? I don't think it is because doing that didn't account for the reflection off the wall - unless I misunderstand how that works?

---------

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Bump.

You have the right idea for question one by adding the original length to the expansion and then setting the two equations equal to each other. Find the temperature in kelvin first and then convert to Celsius, don't attempt to change the coefficients of thermal expansion.

A point source emits sound spherically. Intensity would therefore depend on the power dissipated over the surface area of the spherical wavefront.

This one is pretty easy. They are asking for a rate so you divide by time. Also, by conservation of energy, the rates have to be the same. In the aluminum bar the temp. changes from 30 to some temp. T. The copper bar changes from T to 170. Convert to Kelvin. Set the equations equal. Solve for T. Solve for the rate.

Simple conservation of energy problem. The proton experiences a repulsive force and there exists a potential energy at its initial position. "At infinity" there is no potential energy so all the energy has become kinetic. Solve for the speed.

Wavelengths don't double when they reflect off walls. I don't know where you learned that. This is a Doppler shift problem. First the bus is a moving source emitting sound at some frequency (easy to solve for this). Find the frequency "heard" (incident) on the wall. The wall is now a source of sound waves of this new frequency. The bus is now a moving observer. Solve for the second Doppler shifted frequency.

1. What is the difference between length and distance?

Length is a measurement of the size of an object or distance between two points, usually measured in units such as meters or feet. Distance is the amount of space between two points, regardless of the size of the objects. Essentially, length is a type of distance measurement.

2. How does sound travel?

Sound travels in waves through a medium, such as air or water. When an object, such as a guitar string, vibrates, it creates pressure waves that travel through the medium. Our ears detect these waves as sound.

3. What is the relationship between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object. As heat is added to an object, the particles move faster, increasing the temperature.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. In other words, velocity takes into account the object's speed and the direction it is moving in.

5. How does motion affect an object's energy?

Motion can affect an object's energy in various ways. For example, the kinetic energy of an object increases as its velocity increases. On the other hand, potential energy, such as gravitational potential energy, decreases as an object moves closer to the ground. Motion can also transfer energy from one object to another through collisions.