Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretial Physics

In summary, Lamont is a new graduate physics student looking for A Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifgarbagez. He has found the books individually but is struggling to find the whole series as a set. He has found a site, Flipkart.com, that offers the series for a cheap price but is concerned about receiving used and tattered books. He is asking for suggestions on where to purchase the series, preferably outside of the US. Some members suggest ordering from Flipkart as they have had positive experiences, while others recommend bookstores at IISc Bangalore and IIT-M as alternatives.
Lamont1986
Hello,

Name is Lamont, new here. I am currently a graduate physics student.

I have been looking for A Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifgarbagez. I can find the books individually but I cannot find the whole series together. I found one site, Flipkart.com, that does seem to have them for ~ 9000 Rs which is cheap, but I was reading they sometimes send used and tattered books.

Does anyone know where I can buy the whole series as a set, preferably, but not necessarily, on the cheap (i.e. from outside of the US).

Thanks you all for your time.

-Lamont

Physics news on Phys.org
My friends and I have ordered from flipkart many times and have always received books in good shape. The used and tattered condition may come about due to the people who are delivering it.

If you want some other source, IISc Bangalore has a bookstore and so does IIT-M (The Tata bookhouse). You can get the complete series here.

Thanks, appreciate it.

1. What is the Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics?

The Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics is a series of textbooks written by Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz that cover various topics in theoretical physics, including mechanics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical physics. The series is widely regarded as a classic in the field of physics and has been used as a standard textbook in many universities.

2. Who are the authors of the Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics?

The authors of the Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics are Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz, both renowned Russian physicists. Landau was a Nobel Prize winner in physics and is known for his contributions to condensed matter physics, while Lifshitz made significant contributions to the fields of statistical mechanics and astrophysics.

3. What topics are covered in the Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics?

The Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics covers a wide range of topics in theoretical physics, including classical mechanics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical physics. Each volume in the series focuses on a specific topic and provides a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of the subject.

4. Is the Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics suitable for beginners?

No, the Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics is not suitable for beginners. The series is intended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics and assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics. It is often used as a reference for researchers and professionals in the field.

5. Is the Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics still relevant today?

Yes, the Landau Lifshitz Course of Theoretical Physics is still relevant today. While some of the material may be outdated, the series remains a valuable resource for understanding the fundamental principles and concepts in theoretical physics. Many universities still use the textbooks as a standard reference, and the series continues to be highly cited in current research.