What is the Significance of Diffeomorphism Invariance in Physics?

In summary, diffeomorphism invariance is a property of objects that is invariant under coordinate transformations, which is important for physical equations to be meaningful.
Mike2
I know what a diffeomorphism is. But what is diffeomorphism invariance? And why is it important in physics?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can only guess here: Since a coordinate transformation is a diffeomorphism I´d say diffeomorphism invariance is invariance under coordinate transformations.

Importance in physics thus would be obvious: Ideally, physical processes are invariant under coordinate transformations (would be a bit unpractical when physical processes depend on the coordiante system) so it´s a requirement for physical meaningfull equations.

A concept is a diffeomorphism invariant if it is unchanged under diffeomorphism. For a physicist that probably means essentially unchanged under coordinate transformation.

E.g. it has recently been proved in algebraic geometry that rationality of surfaces is a diffeomorphism invariant.

E.g. a complex algebraic surface that is diffeomorphic to a projective plane is also algebraically birationally equivalent to the projective plane. Thus "rationality" is a diffeomorphism invariant, for surfaces.

mathwonk said:

E.g. it has recently been proved in algebraic geometry that rationality of surfaces is a diffeomorphism invariant.

sounds intriguing! do you happen to know if the paper is online
or if some website has an informative discussion of it?

BTW wonk, General Relativity (you may know all this, I haven't been reading your posts so don't know your familiarity with physics) is
an important example of a diffeo-invariant physical theory.

Since you could already be well-informed on these matters I won't venture to be more explicit except to say that solutions to the Einstein equation are diffeo invariant.

My new friend, I am never offended to have something overexplained so please never hold back with me.

I apologize for not checking back here more recently but the result i mentioned I believe was due to my old friend Bob Friedman, and I will find a source for you.

Last edited:
Atheist said:
Can only guess here: Since a coordinate transformation is a diffeomorphism I´d say diffeomorphism invariance is invariance under coordinate transformations.

Importance in physics thus would be obvious: Ideally, physical processes are invariant under coordinate transformations (would be a bit unpractical when physical processes depend on the coordiante system) so it´s a requirement for physical meaningfull equations.
Would this be the same as "covariant" expressions?

Just a guess here, but in math parlance, i.e. category theory, one asks how quantities transfer under any mapping at all, not just invertible mappings like diffeomeorphisms and coordinate transformations.

So the terms "covariant" and "contravariant" are used to distinguish quantities that transfer in the same direction as the map from quantities that transfer in the opposite direction. Unfortunately people in different areas of math disagree as to which etrm which emans which. I.e. differential geometers and hence physicists are all alone in using "covariant" for opposite direction transforming quantities, whereas everyone else uses "contravariant" for that.

Now if you are only interested in invertible transformations like coordinate changes it does not matter quite as much, since you can always use the inverse transformation to transfer your quantity, but it is till extremely confusing.

What is diffeomorphism invariance?

Diffeomorphism invariance refers to the property of a mathematical object, such as a function or equation, to remain unchanged under a smooth transformation. In other words, if the object is subjected to a smooth change of coordinates, its properties and behavior will remain the same.

Why is diffeomorphism invariance important in science?

Diffeomorphism invariance is important in science because it allows us to study and understand physical systems and phenomena from different perspectives without changing the fundamental properties of the system. It also helps us to develop more general and flexible theories that can be applied to a wide range of situations.

What is the connection between diffeomorphism invariance and symmetry?

Diffeomorphism invariance is closely related to symmetry, as it is a type of symmetry that preserves the underlying structure and behavior of a system. This means that if a system possesses diffeomorphism invariance, it will also exhibit certain symmetries, such as rotational or translational symmetry.

How is diffeomorphism invariance used in physics?

Diffeomorphism invariance is a fundamental principle in physics, particularly in the field of general relativity. It is used to describe the laws of nature in a way that is independent of any particular coordinate system, allowing us to make predictions and calculations that are consistent across different frames of reference.

Can diffeomorphism invariance be broken?

No, diffeomorphism invariance is a fundamental property of mathematical objects and cannot be broken. However, in certain situations, it may appear to be broken due to the limitations of our measurements or the presence of external influences. In these cases, it is important to carefully consider the underlying symmetries and coordinate systems involved in order to fully understand the system.