Subspaces and Orthogonality

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the set WW, consisting of vectors in Rn that are orthogonal to all vectors in a given subspace W, is a subspace of Rn. The first part involves showing that WW is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, while the second part asks to prove that a vector x lies in WW if and only if it is orthogonal to all vectors in a basis for W. The conversation also touches on the use of inner-product properties and the process of showing two vectors are orthogonal.
kdieffen
Ok so I've been working on this problem and I'm really having some struggles grasping it. Here it is:

Let W be some subspace of Rn, let WW consist of those vectors in Rn that are orthognoal to all vectors in W.

1) Show that WW is a subspace of Rn?

So for this part I'm thinking that because WW is a linear combination of W (maybe) then therefore it forms a subspace of Rn

2) If {v1, v2,...vt} is a basis for W, show that a vector X in Rn lies in WW if and only if x is orthogonal to each of the vectors v1, v2,...vt?

And for this one I'm really at a lose for where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried, so far.?

Basically, in order to show that any subset S of a vector space V is a subspace,

is to show that elements of S are closed under scaling and under linear combinations;

in this case, show that if w^ and w'^ are in W^ =(" W Perp" ) , so is their sum,

and for any w^, cw^ (c a scalar) is also in W^. The key here is the properties

of the inner-product.

For 2, one side follows by definition. For the other side ( w^ is perpendicular

to each of v1,..,vt ) , think of writing any x in W using the elements of v1,..,vt,

and, again, use the properties of the inner-product (multilinearity).

Good Luck.

1) Well I understand the definition of a subspace, i think I am just finding it difficult to fully understand the proof. Would it be correct to say then that:

WW is a subspace of Rn because
i) It contains the zero vector
ii) WW= {v1', v2',...vt'}

Let x, y span (WW)
x=av1' + av2' + avt'
y=bv1' + bv2' + bvt'

Therefore (x+y)=(a1+b1)v1' + (a2+b2)v2' + ...(at + bt)vt' and is closed under vector addition.

iii) Let x span (WW)

Then x= a1v1' + a2v2' + atvt' for some a1, a2,...at
Then kx=ka1v1' + ka2v2' + katvt'

Therefore it is closed under scalar multiplication. Since it satisfies all three, it is a subspace of Rn.

So that's what I have for part 1

And for part 2 I'm still lost lol

2)

"" 1) Well I understand the definition of a subspace, i think I am just finding it difficult to fully understand the proof. Would it be correct to say then that:

WW is a subspace of Rn because
i) It contains the zero vector
ii) WW= {v1', v2',...vt'}

Let x, y span (WW)
x=av1' + av2' + avt'
y=bv1' + bv2' + bvt'

Therefore (x+y)=(a1+b1)v1' + (a2+b2)v2' + ...(at + bt)vt' and is closed under vector addition. ""

I don't see how you have shown it is closed. How do you know that x+y is in W^.?

iii) Let x span (WW)

What do you mean here.?. How do you know that a single vector x spans WW.?.
I think (reading below ) you mean: let x be a vector in WW. Right.?

Then x= a1v1' + a2v2' + atvt' for some a1, a2,...at
Then kx=ka1v1' + ka2v2' + katvt'

Therefore it is closed under scalar multiplication.

Not clear to me. How do you know kx is in WW.? You need to check this, or give a good
argument to that effect.

Since it satisfies all three, it is a subspace of Rn.

So that's what I have for part 1

And for part 2 I'm still lost lol.

Well, assume that a vector x in R^n is orthogonal to each of the basis vectors

{v1,..,vt} of W . You then want to show that x is orthogonal to any vector v in W.

How do you show any two vectors are orthogonal.?.

Assume x is orthogonal to each of v1,..,vt (what does this mean.?) and let w be in W.

What do you need to do to show that x and v are orthogonal.?. How can you write w in

order to show this.?

Hello,

I understand that you are having some difficulty grasping the concept of subspaces and orthogonality. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

Firstly, a subspace of Rn is a subset of Rn that satisfies the three properties of a vector space - closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector. This means that if you take two vectors from the subspace and add them, the result will still be in the subspace, and if you multiply a vector from the subspace by a scalar, the result will also be in the subspace.

In this case, WW is a subspace of Rn because it satisfies these properties. If you take two vectors from WW and add them, the result will still be orthogonal to all vectors in W, and if you multiply a vector from WW by a scalar, the result will also be orthogonal to all vectors in W.

Now, for the second part, let's consider a vector X in Rn. If X lies in WW, it means that X is orthogonal to all vectors in W. This can be written as X⋅v1 = 0, X⋅v2 = 0, ..., X⋅vt = 0, where ⋅ represents the dot product. This is because the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is zero.

Conversely, if X is orthogonal to all vectors in W, it means that X⋅v1 = 0, X⋅v2 = 0, ..., X⋅vt = 0. This means that X lies in WW, as it satisfies the definition of WW.

I hope this helps you understand the concept better. Don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Keep up the good work!

What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. It is a space that is contained within a larger vector space.

How do you determine if two subspaces are orthogonal?

Two subspaces are orthogonal if all the vectors in one subspace are perpendicular to all the vectors in the other subspace. This can be tested by taking the dot product of any two vectors, one from each subspace, and seeing if the result is equal to zero.

What is the difference between a subspace and a span?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space, while a span is the set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of vectors. In other words, a subspace is a specific type of span.

How does orthogonality relate to linear independence?

Orthogonality is closely related to linear independence. If two vectors are orthogonal, they are linearly independent. This means that neither vector can be written as a linear combination of the other, and they are both necessary to span the subspace they are in.

What is the Gram-Schmidt process and how is it used in finding orthogonal bases?

The Gram-Schmidt process is a method for finding an orthogonal basis for a subspace. It involves taking a set of linearly independent vectors and using orthogonal projection to find a set of orthogonal vectors that span the same subspace. This process can be repeated until a complete orthogonal basis is found.