Magnetic fieldstrength, magnetic flux, magnetic flux density

In summary, magnetic field strength, magnetic flux, and magnetic flux density are all interconnected and their relationship can be understood by considering the effects of electric current and voltage on magnetic fields.
MikeHansen
I have a problem understanding magnetic fieldstrength, magnetic flux, magnetic flux density.

Some questions that answered may ease my understanding:

Is it true that the magnetic field strength B in the core caused by a current in a wire wound on a the same torodial magnetic core is proportional to the current I in that wire?

Is it also true that the current in this wire loop is caused by a voltage V applied to the ends of the wire? The current is resisted by the resistance of the wire right?

If the above is true, isn't it also true that the magnetic flux thru an area A in the toroid is related to the current thru the wire since flux is the integral of B dot dA?

The current is CAUSED BY the voltage so the voltage is related to the magnetic flux.

Please explain intuitively without too much math: WHAT IS MAGNETIC FLUX DENSITY??

In some litterature, like this Phillips Application Note: http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/radio-related/Linear_PA/ECO6907.pdf (page 4) it is stated that Bmax (max flux density) is related to Vmax (max voltage) and denominated by the area, the frequency of the applied VOLTAGE and the number of turns:

Bmax = Vmax / (2*pi*f * A * n)

In some litterature, it is suggested that the magnetic flux density is not related to the current but to the voltage. However, voltage causes current (movement of charged elements) that in turn causes the magnetic field. Isnt that true?

I would love an explanation that relates B, I, V, , flux flux density. I have seen many awkward papers and book chapters trying to explain basic magnetism but I have a feeling that the authors may not understand the topics properly. Could you refer my to a good website, good video, good book made by an authority on the field?

Mike Hansen

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship between magnetic field strength, magnetic flux, and magnetic flux density is as follows: Magnetic field strength (B) is a measure of the force exerted by a magnetic field on a moving charge. Magnetic flux (Φ) is the total number of magnetic lines of force passing through a given area. Magnetic flux density (B) is the amount of magnetic flux per unit area.To answer the other questions, yes, it is true that the magnetic field strength B in the core caused by a current in a wire wound on a the same toroidal magnetic core is proportional to the current I in that wire. This is because the current produces a magnetic field which interacts with the core material, giving it a net magnetic field strength.Yes, it is also true that the current in this wire loop is caused by a voltage V applied to the ends of the wire. The current is resisted by the resistance of the wire, as Ohm's law states that the current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance.The magnetic flux through an area A in the toroid is related to the current through the wire since flux is the integral of B dot dA. This is because the magnetic field strength is directly proportional to the current. Magnetic flux density (B) is the amount of magnetic flux per unit area. It is related to both the voltage and the current, as the voltage causes the current, which in turn creates the magnetic field. Therefore, the magnetic flux density is a function of both the voltage and the current. As for a good source of information, I would recommend the book "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N. O. Sadiku. This book provides a comprehensive overview of electric circuits, including discussions of magnetism, magnetic fields, and magnetic flux density.

1. What is a magnetic field strength?

A magnetic field strength is a measure of the intensity of a magnetic field. It is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G) and represents the force exerted on a unit magnetic pole placed in the field.

2. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Weber (Wb) or Tesla meter squared (Tm²).

3. What is magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux density, also known as magnetic induction, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field in a specific area. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

4. How are magnetic field strength, magnetic flux, and magnetic flux density related?

Magnetic field strength, magnetic flux, and magnetic flux density are all interrelated. Magnetic flux is directly proportional to the product of magnetic field strength and the area through which it passes. Magnetic flux density is equal to the magnetic flux divided by the area. In other words, the stronger the magnetic field, the greater the magnetic flux and magnetic flux density.

5. How can I measure magnetic field strength, magnetic flux, and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic field strength, magnetic flux, and magnetic flux density can be measured using specialized instruments such as a magnetometer or a Hall effect sensor. These devices can accurately measure the strength and intensity of magnetic fields in different units.