Damping ratio from a transfer function

In summary: Thanks for the clarification!In summary, a second order lowpass system has a transfer function H(s) that takes the form H_{LP}(s) = A_0 \frac{\omega_0^2}{s^2 + 2 \zeta \omega_0 s + \omega_0^2}.
sgsawant
I have a transfer function for system.

23.23*s + 1.421
------------------------------------- = tf
s^2 + 25.88*s + 1.421Since the numerator has a non-zero coefficient for "s" I am wary about equating

25.88 = 2 * zeta * omega [the stuff we usually do for calculating the damping ratio].Can someone shed any light on this?

Regards,

-sgsawant

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a refresher. Can someone answer the above question?

Hello sgsawant,

It's been awhile since I've looked at stuff like this. But it appears that your system is some sort of lowpass + bandpass combination.

I believe your "25.88 = 2 * zeta * omega" is still valid though.

Have you considered the fact that

[tex] \frac{23.23s + 1.421}{s^2 + 25.88s + 1.421} = \frac{23.23s}{s^2 + 25.88s + 1.421} \ + \ \frac{1.421}{s^2 + 25.88s + 1.421}[/tex]

Thanks for your reply. But the cases where 2 * zeta * omega is valid - for those that I have seen - have omega squared in the numerator and also as the constant in the quadratic of s in the denominator. Thus omega can be usually simply calculated (either by taking the root of the numerator or that of the constant term in the denominator).

What method would you advice in this case to calculate omega - and then eventually zeta?

Regards,

-sgsawant

sgsawant said:
Thanks for your reply. But the cases where 2 * zeta * omega is valid - for those that I have seen - have omega squared in the numerator and also as the constant in the quadratic of s in the denominator. Thus omega can be usually simply calculated (either by taking the root of the numerator or that of the constant term in the denominator).

Yes, that's the case for a second order lowpass system (or a second order lowpass section of a more complex system).

The transfer function of a second order lowpass system H(s) takes the form

[tex] H_{LP}(s) = A_0 \frac{\omega_0^2}{s^2 + 2 \zeta \omega_0 s + \omega_0^2} [/tex]

Note that at low frequencies (frequencies can be seen by replacing s with ), H() approaches A0. But at high frequencies, H() approaches 0; meaning only the low frequencies get through.

But there are other types of second order systems. A second order highpass system takes the form

[tex] H_{HP}(s) = A_0 \frac{s^2}{s^2 + 2 \zeta \omega_0 s + \omega_0^2}. [/tex]

Here, only the high frequencies make it through.

Similarly for a bandpass we have:

[tex] H_{BP}(s) = A_0 \frac{2 \zeta \omega_0 s}{s^2 + 2 \zeta \omega_0 s + \omega_0^2}. [/tex]

And bandstop,

[tex] H_{BS}(s) = A_0 \frac{s^2 + \omega_0^2}{s^2 + 2 \zeta \omega_0 s + \omega_0^2}. [/tex]

Note that the denominator is the same in all types.

What method would you advice in this case to calculate omega - and then eventually zeta?

The numerator (i.e. zeros) of your transfer function doesn't seem to quite fit with any of the standard second order systems. But if I remember correctly, both the the resonant (natural) frequency and the damping factor are functions of the pole locations, not the zeros.

Last edited:
Thanks mate! That was quite informative. The poles argument really made it clear.

That is the damping offered by the base movement.. you do not have to worry about that.. 2*zeta*omega holds good

1. What is a damping ratio in a transfer function?

A damping ratio in a transfer function is a parameter that describes the rate at which the oscillations in a system will decay over time. It is a measure of the system's ability to resist oscillations and return to equilibrium.

2. How is the damping ratio calculated from a transfer function?

The damping ratio can be calculated by taking the ratio of the system's actual damping coefficient to the critical damping coefficient. The critical damping coefficient is the minimum amount of damping required for a system to return to equilibrium without any oscillations.

3. What is the significance of the damping ratio in a transfer function?

The damping ratio is an important parameter in a transfer function as it determines the stability and performance of a system. A higher damping ratio indicates a more stable system with faster decay of oscillations, while a lower damping ratio may result in slower decay and potential instability.

4. How does the damping ratio affect the response of a system?

The damping ratio affects the response of a system by influencing the shape and magnitude of the system's frequency response. A higher damping ratio results in a more gradual response with less oscillations, while a lower damping ratio may lead to a more oscillatory response.

5. Can the damping ratio be adjusted in a transfer function?

Yes, the damping ratio can be adjusted in a transfer function by changing the system's damping coefficient. This can be done by modifying the physical properties of the system or by using control methods such as feedback control to adjust the damping ratio to a desired value.