Feynman Lectures, Chapter 24: Transients

In summary, a question was raised about understanding a section in Chapter 24 of the Feynman Lectures book regarding the energy of an oscillator. The conversation included an explanation of the equation for a forced oscillator, analysis of the work done by an outside force, and the application of the chain rule to expand an expression. Ultimately, the participants were able to understand and explain the concept in question.
DivGradCurl
Hello everyone!

A question came up as I was reading Chapter 24 of the Feynman Lectures book. To more specific, it's the comments after Eq. (24.2) on the first section---called "the energy of an oscillator". I don't quite get it.

Thank you very much! :smile:

"Now let us consider the energy in a forced oscillator. The equation for the forced oscillator is
[tex]m\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}+\gamma m \frac{dx}{dt}+m\omega _0 ^2 x = F(t). [/tex] (24.1)

In our problem, of course, [tex]F(t)[/tex] is a cosine function of [tex]t[/tex]. Now let us analyse the situation: how much work is done by the outside force [tex]F[/tex]? The work done by the force per second, i.e., the power, is the force times the velocity. [tex]\Big([/tex]We know that the differential work in a time [tex]t[/tex] is [tex]F dx[/tex], and the power is [tex]F\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex].[tex]\Big)[/tex] Thus

[tex]P=F\frac{dx}{dt}=m\left[\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)\left(\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}\right)+\omega _0 ^2 x\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right) \right]+\gamma m\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 .[/tex] (24.2)

But the first two terms on the right can also be written as
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left[\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 +\frac{1}{2}m\omega _0 ^2 x^2 \right], [/tex]
as is immediately verifyed by differentiating."

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, let u = dx/dt. Considering that 1/2 and m are constants, applying the chain rule we can write.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left[\frac{1}{2}m\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 \right] = \frac{1}{2}m\frac{d}{dt}u^2 = \frac{1}{2}m 2 u\frac{du}{dt} [/tex]

but [tex] \frac{du}{dt} = \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} [/tex]

so we wind up with

[tex] m \frac{dx}{dt} \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} [/tex]

The other half of the problem is similar, substitute as needed for clarity and then apply the chain rule.

I see... Thanks!

Great... I now understand it.

Thank you so much!

Oh... one more thing

Now I see how the last expression can be expanded. But, How did he get it out of Eq. (24.2)?

Thank you.

[tex]\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)\left(\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}\right)[/tex] is fairly standard.

If we write u= [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex], this is just uu'.. but that's just [tex]\frac{1}{2}u^2'[/tex].

In other words, [tex]\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)\left(\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}\right)= \frac{1}{2}\frac{d\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2}{dt}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your tip, HallsofIvy...

I can understand that it comes down to writing [tex]u\cdot u' .[/tex] The only consequence I can draw from it is that [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{d\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)}{dt}[/tex]. My point is... How does the [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] factor and [tex]\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2[/tex] appear in [tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{d\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2}{dt}[/tex] if we only have [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex] to begin with? How do you find it if you initially have [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{d\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)}{dt}[/tex]?

Let [itex]u = \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]. Now
[tex]\frac{d(\frac{1}{2} u^2)}{du} = u [/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{d({\frac{dx}{dt})^2}}{dt} = \frac{du}{dt} \frac{d({\frac{1}{2} u^2)}{du} = \frac{du}{dt} u = \frac{\frac{dx}{dt}}{dt} \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{d^2{x}}{{dt}^2} \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

Last edited:
I finally get it!

The pattern [tex]g \frac {dg}{dt} = \frac {1}{2} \frac {d g^2}{dt}[/tex] fits for both terms. I finally worked it out. Thanks to HallsofIvy, speeding electron, and Tide for all the help!

1. What is the main topic of Chapter 24 in the Feynman Lectures?

The main topic of Chapter 24 is transients, which refers to the behavior of a system as it changes from one state to another.

2. What types of systems are discussed in Chapter 24?

Chapter 24 discusses both electrical and mechanical systems and their behavior during transients.

3. How are transients different from steady-state behavior?

Transients are temporary changes in a system's behavior, while steady-state behavior is the long-term behavior that a system settles into.

4. What are some examples of transients in everyday life?

Examples of transients in everyday life include turning on a light switch, starting a car engine, or swinging a pendulum.

5. What is the importance of understanding transients in scientific research?

Understanding transients is important in scientific research because it allows us to predict and control the behavior of systems, which is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.