Volume of a cylinder, horizontally

In summary, the problem was that the author was trying to solve a trigonometric problem and missed a simple substitution. He ended up solving the problem after getting advice from someone else.
trancefishy
i posted a question earlier, but, the heart of the matter has been narrowed down. this question is much more straightforward than the details in the other one. what i want to know is how to obtain the volume of a cylinder of radius r and height h by integration.
EASY. if you divide it into disks and add them up. no problem. i need the volume when it is divided into rectangles. as in, the cylinder is lying on it's side.

try and try i might, i always end up with either the square root of a negative number, or the entire integral turns out to equal zero.

also, even though i know the integral should equal pi r^2 h, i don't see how to get pi into the equation. the only way i can see to define the width of the rectangles is by using the pythagorean thereom on a general triangle on the sides of the cylinder. any insight into this would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try something simpler first to get a handle on it? Try using rectangular coordinates to find the area of a circle.

hm, good thinking. i think I've done that before, but i will do it again. perhaps that will shed some light on this. this problem is just getting narrowed down thinner and thinner.

Last edited:
trancefishy said:
i need the volume when it is divided into rectangles. as in, the cylinder is lying on it's side.

try and try i might, i always end up with either the square root of a negative number, or the entire integral turns out to equal zero.

also, even though i know the integral should equal pi r^2 h, i don't see how to get pi into the equation. the only way i can see to define the width of the rectangles is by using the pythagorean thereom on a general triangle on the sides of the cylinder. any insight into this would be greatly appreciated

Show what you have done.

ehild

it took me a couple minutes to realize, this was the problem. i looked, and saw it was a simple trig substitution. i kid you not, i have spent, in the past 4 days, over 8 hours, solid, on and off, sometimes 2 hours at a time, wrestling with this problem. and it was a trig substitution the entire time that i was missing. that is why i couldn't integrate the cursed square root.

i feel like, overwhelmingly, stupid.

thank you very much for that advice, i am now on the right track. i wish i would have known this much much sooner.

thanks again

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder horizontally?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder horizontally is V = πr2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cylinder.

How do you measure the radius and height of a horizontal cylinder?

The radius can be measured by placing a ruler or tape measure across the center of the cylinder's circular base. The height can be measured by placing a ruler or tape measure along the side of the cylinder from one end to the other.

What unit of measurement is typically used for the volume of a horizontal cylinder?

The volume of a cylinder is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic centimeters (cm3) or cubic meters (m3).

How does the volume of a horizontal cylinder compare to a vertical cylinder with the same dimensions?

The volume of a horizontal cylinder with the same dimensions as a vertical cylinder will be the same. This is because the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder does not change based on its orientation.

Can the volume of a cylinder change if the shape of the base is different?

Yes, the volume of a cylinder will change if the shape of the base is different. The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder only applies to cylinders with circular bases. If the base is a different shape, a different formula will need to be used to calculate the volume.