Google Search and PF connected at the Hip

In summary: Google said in the blog post. "We want to help people find the most relevant information, not just the first page of results."So Google is doing something to push down websites that are not providing quality information. This change affects 11.8% of all queries, so it is not going to be noticeable to most people.
rhody
Gold Member
I have noticed with growing frequency that many things posted on PF come up when doing tangential searches for other information with increasing frequency. I am not complaining, this is a great thing and Greg and all the staff at PF should be proud.

An example, http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...p-p1g3g-o1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=c1f3adc9cfc4964".
Note: the top response, a post I made yesterday. It happened last night with a post nismara made as well, thus, the reason for my inquiry.

Could someone please explain in a "medium" level of detail what occurs for this to happen ?

1. be cataloged
2. bubble to the top so quickly

Greg ? Evo ? V_50 ? (perhaps, hehe)

Thanks...

Rhody... (PITA boy... hehe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you simply asking how and why we rank well in many different searches?

Greg,

Thanks, that and anything else you are privy to being in the position you are in, not trying to play detective here, just want to know the nuts and bolts or the "art" so to speak.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Thanks, that and anything else you are privy to being in the position you are in, not trying to play detective here, just want to know the nuts and bolts or the "art" so to speak.

There are no secrets. Google rewards quality.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There are no secrets. Google rewards quality.
Greg, if you bottle this and sell it, you can retire and soon... the secret to the high google rank that is... I wonder how many other businesses, not for profits, research centers, colleges have noticed this as well, the secret to high ranking.

OK, I do have a question, can you pay google great sums of money to raise your ranking, artificially, so to speak ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Greg, if you bottle this and sell it, you can retire and soon...

Retirement, how boring :)

rhody said:
the secret to the high google rank that is... I wonder how many other businesses, not for profits, research centers, colleges have noticed this as well, the secret to high ranking.

The secret stays within google and their scientists. They have given guidelines to webmasters and over the years webmasters have developed their own strategies. In fact there are communities whose sole purpose is trying to "decode" and investigate the ranking algorithm (which seems to be tweaked on at least a weekly basis.). In general it always comes down to quality original content. That one factor will usually waterfall into the other needed factors such as quality link associations and then you can look at page formatting...

rhody said:
OK, I do have a question, can you pay google great sums of money to raise your ranking, artificially, so to speak ?

Most definitely not. Google is #1 because they have incredible attention to respecting the integrity of their search results. In fact there are well known stories of them punishing BMW and more recently JC Penny for "black hat" optimization strategies.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41564143/ns/business-the_new_york_times/

http://www.nma.co.uk/news/google-punishes-bmw-for-breaking-seo-guidelines/26659.article

Greg,

Have a look at this...

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=8252259&page=4"
But though it may rule the Web, Google isn't beyond reproach. In 2006, it punished itself. Text intended to be internal was showing up on public pages. But, to be consistent, the company removed the pages from its own index. "When it was noticed, people in the space who sometimes fight with Google said 'why don't you ban yourself?' And then they did," said Danny Sullivan, editor in chief of the industry Web site Search Engine Land. "That was indeed quite a chuckle."
and
In December 2008, it penalized itself again -- temporarily, at least. Because of a glitch, searches for "google," "analytics," "google adwords," and other terms didn't return the normal Google.com result. But soon after noticing the mistake, Google issued a statement saying, "Unfortunately, for a short period of time yesterday, we experienced an issue where our search engine wasn't returning some pages hosted on google.com in users' search results. "We've since fixed this problem, and users can now find all Google-specific sites they are searching for. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused," the statement continued.

Kind of a comfort to see that they hold themselves to the same standards they expect of others, even though they are the biggest, most well indexed site in the world have a sense of humor.

Rhody... :wink:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/220708/google_moves_to_shuffle_down_lowquality_sites.html"
Google has made a significant change to its search engine that will push further down in its rankings websites that pilfer content from other places on the Internet or do not offer high-quality information, the company said in a blog post on Thursday.

The changes to its algorithms impact 11.8 percent of all queries, a significant change considering most people barely notice incremental changes the company makes. Initially, the change only applies to Google users in the U.S. but the company said it plans to roll it out further.

"We believe it's a big step in the right direction of helping people find ever higher quality in our results," wrote Amit Singhal, a Google Fellow, and Matt Cutts, a principal engineer. "We've been tackling these issues for more than a year, and working on this specific change for the past few months. And we're working on many more updates that we believe will substantially improve the quality of the pages in our results."
Interesting...

I will check from time to time to see if people/places/events/technology/science/hobbies, etc... I post on pop to the top of Googles search list, if they do, kudos to PF... and to a lesser extent my creativity, hehe...

Rhody... o:)

P.S. Edit: Just for laughs I just searched on "rhody physics forums", and one of the top hits I got was http://boardreader.com/thread/Human_host_manipulation_14a2X9o4w.html". Seems that Evo's thread is quite popular... this gave me a few laughs, original content, definitely yes, and then some...

rhody said:
P.S. Edit: Just for laughs I just searched on "rhody physics forums", and one of the top hits I got was http://boardreader.com/thread/Human_host_manipulation_14a2X9o4w.html". Seems that Evo's thread is quite popular... this gave me a few laughs, original content, definitely yes, and then some...

Actually fact that boardreader - which doesn't have original content, but only copies content from other places - is so high, means Google still have some work to do. But fact that PF is so high in search results is hardly surprising. Not only we have a lot of original content, site has a lot of inbound links and is on line for many years. That all counts.

Plenty of tutorials for making high scoring pages on the web. Most important tips are usually - put good content, make your site user friendly and well crosslinked, get good links from good sites. PF does all that for many years. In fact it does it for so many years that links FROM PF are now considered good links from a good site.

Woo hoo...

Thanks, Borek, for your historial perspective, when you want to do things right... follow PF. I will keep and eye on Boardreader as you mentioned and see if Google adjusts their ranking downward. Google claims this is an on-going process so this may happen in the near future.

One more question while I am at it, this thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=471941", ever since I posted it to it last Monday I noticed the hit count is hundreds more than what is usual. My question is this, do automated web crawlers bump up the hit counts for threads, or are the hit counts reflective of people who hit the page, and if they hit it multiple times are they counted each time or just once ?

Rhody...

Borku, a czy zadając identyczne pytanie z komputera... powiedzmy miłośnika kalafiorów i fana sterydów dostaniemy identyczną listę odnośników?
Wydaje mnie mi się, że nie, Google znają nasze upodobania i tyle.

Xitami said:
Borku, a czy zadając identyczne pytanie z komputera... powiedzmy miłośnika kalafiorów i fana sterydów dostaniemy identyczną listę odnośników?

Xitami,

Thanks to Google translate, I will post your post in English...
Borek, and whether asking the same question from the computer ... say, a lover of cauliflower and a fan of steroids get the same list of links?
It seems to me to me that they do not, Google knows our tastes and so.

Rhody... :grumpy: :rolleyes:

This is kind of weird after my post on how google ranks sites, how serendipitous, Google announces today:
"[URL
Websites to Google: 'You're killing our business!'[/URL]
The major tweak aims to move better quality content to the top of Google's search rankings. The changes will affect 12% Google's results, the company said in a blog post late Thursday.

http://64.233.179.104/"
So will Google's changes have a lasting effect on search quality? Perhaps. But it's an arms race: Any time the company adjusts its algorithms, those determined to beat them immediately adjust. "Content originators make money, and Google makes money," said Whit Andrews, analyst for Gartner. "Their interests will always be in conflict, and as long as there is greed, people will try to game system."

Rhody...

Please post in English, your post violates forum rules.

Xitami said:

This is not entirely clear to me. While Google claimed in the past personalization of the search results is what they aim for, I don't think they succeeded in the implementation (yet). For sure their search results are localization dependent and you will see something different when you search from Poland and UK. But I am not tracing their technology too closely now, my knowledge about the subject is about 3 years old.

Note that the only way to identify user is through cookies, so deleting google cookies you can always reset search results to some default.

rhody said:
"[URL
Websites to Google: 'You're killing our business!'[/URL]

This very comment repeats each time Google does some modifications to its algorithm. As far as I remember and was able to Google older ones were codenamed Florida, Austin, Bourbon, Jagger, Big Daddy and Brandy. Each time people complain, but the answer is simple - your business should not depend on Google results only. If it does, you are an idiot, or you should be ready to accept ROE (i.e. rules of engagement). Google doesn't guarantee anything to site owners, it tries to guarantee good search results to its users.

Borek said:
Note that the only way to identify user is through cookies, so deleting google cookies you can always reset search results to some default.

Borek,

Thanks for the advice...

Oh, one more thing...
One more question while I am at it, this thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=471941", ever since I posted it to it last Monday I noticed the hit count is hundreds more than what is usual. My question is this, do automated web crawlers bump up the hit counts for threads, or are the hit counts reflective of people who hit the page, and if they hit it multiple times are they counted each time or just once ?

Rhody...

What is Google Search and PF connected at the Hip?

Google Search and PF connected at the Hip refers to the close relationship between Google, the popular search engine, and PF, a personal finance management application. This partnership allows users to easily access their financial information and track their spending directly through Google Search.

How does Google Search and PF connected at the Hip work?

Users can link their PF account to their Google account, allowing them to view their financial information directly through Google Search. This includes viewing their account balances, recent transactions, and spending trends.

What are the benefits of using Google Search and PF connected at the Hip?

The main benefit is convenience. Users can access their financial information without having to log into their PF account separately. It also allows for quick and easy tracking of spending and budgeting directly through Google Search.

Is Google Search and PF connected at the Hip secure?

Yes, both Google and PF have strong security measures in place to protect user information. Additionally, users can choose to unlink their accounts at any time if they no longer wish to use this feature.

Can I use Google Search and PF connected at the Hip on any device?

Yes, as long as you have internet access and a Google account, you can access this feature on any device, including desktops, laptops, and mobile devices.