Fukushima plant - should I leave Japan?

• Fukushima
  • Thread starter stundmullett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Japan Plant
In summary, the experts say that it is safe to live in Japan, but it is important to be aware of the dangers of radioactive materials.
stundmullett
There is so much conflicting information so I hope it's okay to post here and ask the experts(I'm assuming you're experts). I live 180 km south east of Tokyo and don't know how far I should trust the media and government. Two of my friends have decided to leave the area with their children and I am concerned I should be doing the same. The news today about the situation at the plant sounded hopeful but how safe would we be here if things got worse? I'm scared but I don't want to panic. I have a job, commitments, and my husband would probably not leave with us.

Engineering news on Phys.org
dont trust media. fukushima is a very small accident compared to Chernobyl's.
Japan is safe.

stundmullett said:
There is so much conflicting information so I hope it's okay to post here and ask the experts(I'm assuming you're experts). I live 180 km south east of Tokyo and don't know how far I should trust the media and government. Two of my friends have decided to leave the area with their children and I am concerned I should be doing the same. The news today about the situation at the plant sounded hopeful but how safe would we be here if things got worse? I'm scared but I don't want to panic. I have a job, commitments, and my husband would probably not leave with us.
:confused: When I view a map, 180 km SE of Tokyo is the Pacific Ocean. Does one mean Chiba? Or does one mean SW, perhaps in Izu south of Nagoya?

I believe that it is reasonably safe there.

The maximum recorded radiation levels in Tokyo were 0.8 microsieverts/hour. Background is 0.3 microsieverts/hour. You're in more danger from the ash spread by the Shinmoedake eruption, especially if you're even further away than Tokyo.

Taking all I know into account, I can't think of a reason to not stay where you are.

stundmullett said:

What else would you be leaving? If the answer is your home, family, belongings, etc., probably not. If you are there temporarily, visiting, maybe.

Understand that the physicist types are throwing around Sieverts, which is a measure of absorbed dose of a number of different sources of radiation -- x-ray & gamma ray (photons), alpha particles (2 neutrons + 2 protons) and beta particles (electrons).

Alpha particles are particularly dense, ionizing radiation and are extremely dangerous if ingested. In that regard, that is why Plutonium, an alpha emitter, is so nasty, and toxic if ingested. Beta particles (electrons) are much less dense, and therefore more penetrating. Radioactive Iodine (I-133) is the common concern with reactor accidents, because Iodine is biologically active and is taken up and concentrated in your thyroid gland. That is also why folks are taking non-radioactive iodine pills -- to overload those biological uptake systems and prevent the uptake of the radioactive stuff.

You can't and don't need to do much about the x-ray and gamma ray stuff. It is low dose and your body has lots of mechanisms to repair and recover from sub-lethal doses of that type of radiation.

As for alpha and beta exposure, those typically come from external contamination in dust and on the surfaces of exposed materials, including foodstuffs, and also, possibly as contaminants in the water supply.

You don't have a high risk of radiation exposure or injury as far as is known, but I would suggest:

Wash your hands carefully and often. Wash anything that isn't sealed or packaged thoroughly before you put it in your mouth. Any contamination from the current events at Fukushima are likely to be external or surface contaminants, not contaminants that have been "biologically" absorbed into the food chain. I don't think it is time to go to bottled water unless you learn that your local water supply has been contaminated. Be careful about tracking dirt and anything else from outdoors that might be externally contaminated into your home. Leave your shoes at the door. Wash your clothing carefully. Etc. If you smoke, you should stop now. If you find at some point that your local environment has been significantly contaminated with radioactive wastes, then it might be time to reconsider.

On the risk scale of things you should lay awake at night worrying about, at least for now and where you are, radiation injury or sickness is probably still low on the list.

It may be prudent to take a "vacation" durring the expected onshore winds from the north.

Vacation>[Washing your hands carefully and often+ Washing anything that isn't sealed or packaged thoroughly before you put it in your mouth+- Any contamination from the current events at Fukushima are likely to be external or surface contaminants, not contaminants that have been "biologically" absorbed into the food chain+ I don't think it is time to go to bottled water unless you learn that your local water supply has been contaminated+ Be careful about tracking dirt and anything else from outdoors that might be externally contaminated into your home+ Leave your shoes at the door+ Wash your clothing carefully]

Seems like a no brainer.

Interesting gif of radiation plume from FK

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,bild-192707-751072,00.html

Yes, I am SW of Tokyo on the east coast.

Thanks for your posts - I'm feeling somewhat reassured.

Here's a interesting http://xkcd.com/radiation/" [Broken] chart that gives a good comparative example for the various scales being thrown around.

I know it helped me grok the tiny minuscule scales being talked about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my thought: As with TMI and Tchernobyl, all the events were in unknown territory as they unfolded. Sure, engineering and physics could explain what was happening and all, but as for where exactly things were going, that was sort up to nature after a point. It took 7 months to get Tchernobyl under "control" (covered) and over a half a million men working on it. Men ordered to fix it and information withheld as to the danger they were in. So far, this is still an unfolding event with lots of directions this could take.

So you need to use YOUR best instincts on this. Don't take anyone's word for it. EVERYONE has a vested interest in their angle... defending nuclear energy, avoiding panic, etc.

Keep on top of twitter feeds from the list the UN put together. Scour the internet for information. American's MSM has more or less gone dark on this so I am assuming yours is as well.

Good luck.

1. What caused the Fukushima nuclear disaster?

The Fukushima nuclear disaster was caused by a severe earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan on March 11, 2011. The earthquake, with a magnitude of 9.0, caused a power outage at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, leading to a failure of the cooling systems for the reactors. This resulted in a series of nuclear meltdowns and releases of radioactive material.

2. Is it safe to live in Japan after the Fukushima disaster?

Yes, it is safe to live in Japan after the Fukushima disaster. The Japanese government, along with international organizations such as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), have conducted extensive monitoring and decontamination efforts in the affected areas. The radiation levels in most parts of Japan are now within safe limits and there is no immediate health risk for residents.

3. Should I leave Japan if I am living near the Fukushima nuclear plant?

If you are living within the evacuation zone near the Fukushima nuclear plant, it is recommended that you follow the evacuation orders and leave the area. However, if you are living outside of the evacuation zone, it is generally safe to stay in Japan. The government has set strict safety standards for radiation levels and regularly monitors the areas surrounding the plant.

4. What are the long-term effects of the Fukushima disaster?

The long-term effects of the Fukushima disaster are still being studied and are not fully known. However, studies have shown that the health risks from the released radiation are low. The biggest impact has been on the mental and emotional well-being of the affected communities, as well as the economic impact on the region.

5. Is it safe to consume food from Japan after the Fukushima disaster?

Yes, it is safe to consume food from Japan after the Fukushima disaster. The government has implemented strict safety standards for food production and regularly tests food products for radiation levels. Any food found to have levels of radiation above the safety limits is not allowed to be sold. It is important to follow government advisories and only buy food from approved sources.