What are the Thermodynamic Considerations for an Air Conditioner Cooling a Room?

In summary: Finally, you can add these two entropy changes to get the total entropy change in the system.In summary, the conversation is about finding the rate of heat removal and heat discharge for an air conditioner operating at 800W and a performance coefficient of 2.80, with a room temperature of 21oC and an outside temperature of 35oC. The equations used are COP=Qc/W, \DeltaS=mcln(Th/Tc), and \DeltaQ=cm\DeltaT. To solve for the
theown1

Homework Statement

An air conditioner operates on 800W of power and has a performance coefficient of 2.80 with a room temperature of 21oC, and an outside temperature of 35oC.
a) Calculate the rate of heat removal for this unit.
b) calculate the rate at which heat is discharged to the outside air.
c) calculate the total entropy change in the room if the air conditioner runs for 1 hour. Calculate the total entropy change in the outside air for the same time period.
d) What is the net change in entropy for the system(room+outside air)?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Q=cm[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
I think that that is the equation of heat lost
Coefficient of performance = Qcold, input/Winput
C.o.P=Qcold,input/(Qhot,output-Qcold,input)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I'm not sure how to find the rate of heat which is removed

b) I'm not sure either

c) I know that Entropy=Q/T, and
[tex]\Delta[/tex]S=mcln(Th/Tc)
c is the specific heat, m is mass

but I'm not sure how to find the final temperature from what's given in the problem, or the mass...

d) once I know the answer to part C, its fairly self explanatory

Can someone guide in the right direction for solving this

Physics news on Phys.org
Using COP=Qc/W to get Qc will give you how much heat is removed from the space.

for part b) you just need to do a simple heat balance on the system. (Consider what quantities are going in and what are going out)

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

How does a refrigerator work?

A refrigerator works by using the principles of thermodynamics to remove heat from inside the fridge and transfer it to the outside, thus cooling the interior of the fridge.

What are the 3 laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that entropy (disorder) always increases in a closed system. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature.

What is the difference between a refrigerator and an air conditioner?

While both use similar principles of thermodynamics to remove heat from one area and transfer it to another, a refrigerator is designed to cool a small, enclosed space (like the interior of a fridge), while an air conditioner is designed to cool a larger, open space (like a room or building).

How do thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a role in many aspects of everyday life, including cooking, heating and cooling systems, and energy production. Without an understanding of thermodynamics, many modern technologies and conveniences would not be possible.