Maximization problem of tuple set

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving transforming a set of vectors in order to maximize the sum of the distances squared between each pair of transformed vectors. The goal is to solve for the scalar values, c_k,i, in matrix form that will achieve this maximum distance. It was mentioned that all vectors are in R^3 and are unit vectors. If the rank of the Nx3 matrix of vectors is less than 3, the problem is trivial, but for higher ranks, a set of unit vectors needs to be found that are equally spread on a unit sphere. This can be achieved by defining energy functions and using an algorithm like gradient descent to find the answer.
brydustin
Given a set of vectors {v_ j } = {v_1, ... v_N} and I wish to transform each vector in the following manner

v_ i ' = Sum_k=1 to N ( c_ k,i) * v_i where c_ k,i is a scalar and what we are trying to solve for.

such that the sum of the distances squared between each pair of transformed vectors is maximized.

Then we would like to solve dD/dc = 0 where D is the sum of the distances squared and c are the scalars in matrix form. I'm not sure how to think of the c's except I could define a diagonal matrix whose entries are the sum of the respective scalars (i.e. i-th row is Sum_k=1 to N ( c_ k,i)) and multiply it by a vector (tensor) whose elements are the v_ j's so that the new vector has as its elements the transformed vectors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We talked about it in chat --
He forgot to mention:

1. All vectors are in [tex]R^{3}[/tex]
2. All v and v' are unit vectors (otherwise it's impossible to maximize)

So, I think first thing to do is find the rank of the Nx3 matrix of v's. If rank is < 3, the problem is trivial. Otherwise we just need to find a set of unit vectors that are 'equally' spread on a unit sphere. So, for N = 3 they would be coplanar with 120 degree angles, N=4 would make a tetrahedron, N = 6, 8 make cubes etc.

I don't know if there is a general closed formula for the N vectors. However, if we define energy functions [tex]\varphi_{ij} = - log(||x_{i} - x_{j}||^2) [/tex], and total energy function [tex]\Phi = \sum{\varphi_{ij}}[/tex], we can find partial derivatives of [tex]\Phi [/tex] wrt each [tex]x_{i}^{(k)} [/tex] and then use some algorithm like gradient descent to find the answer.

Danil

1. What is the "maximization problem of tuple set"?

The maximization problem of tuple set is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum value of a specific function or variable within a given set of tuples. It is commonly used in optimization and decision-making processes in fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science.

2. How is the "maximization problem of tuple set" solved?

The maximization problem of tuple set is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as linear programming, dynamic programming, or gradient descent. These methods involve systematically evaluating the function or variable and adjusting the input values until the maximum value is found.

3. What are some real-life applications of the "maximization problem of tuple set"?

The maximization problem of tuple set has numerous real-life applications, including resource allocation in business, scheduling tasks in project management, and optimizing production processes in manufacturing. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms to find the best possible solutions for complex problems.

4. What are the main challenges of solving the "maximization problem of tuple set"?

One of the main challenges of solving the maximization problem of tuple set is the complexity of the problem. As the number of tuples and variables increases, the problem becomes more difficult to solve. Another challenge is identifying the most efficient and effective method for solving the problem, as different techniques may yield different results.

5. How can the "maximization problem of tuple set" be beneficial?

The maximization problem of tuple set can be beneficial in various ways. It allows for the optimization of processes and resources, leading to increased efficiency and cost savings. It also helps in making informed decisions by identifying the best possible solution among a set of options. Additionally, solving the maximization problem of tuple set can lead to new insights and discoveries in various fields of study.