Is it worth going through all of Landau-Lifshitz?

• Thread starter capandbells
  • Start date
In summary, the books I would recommend are Mechanics, Classical Theory of Fields, Quantum Mechanics, and Quantum Electrodynamics. I would not recommend the book Quantum Electrodynamics because it is outdated and the notation is old-fashioned.
capandbells
Do you guys think it would be beneficial to take on the entire series of Landau and Lifgarbagez books, or do you think it would be better to cherry-pick books for each of the topics in the series? Which of the LL books do you think are the strongest (I mean: best selection of topics, clearest presentation, most relevant to modern theoretical physics)? The weakest? Are there any 'must reads' among them?

Physics news on Phys.org
capandbells said:
Do you guys think it would be beneficial to take on the entire series of Landau and Lifgarbagez books, or do you think it would be better to cherry-pick books for each of the topics in the series? Which of the LL books do you think are the strongest (I mean: best selection of topics, clearest presentation, most relevant to modern theoretical physics)? The weakest? Are there any 'must reads' among them?

If you plan on buying any of the books you should know that the new owner of this imprint has done a shamefully bad job with newer printings, with much of the small print typsetting smudged and unreadable. I would be very careful with purchasing site unseen.

I have

Mechanics
Classical Theory of Fields
Quantum Mechanics
Quantum Electrodynamics

I think Mechanics is essential. CToF is very good for the electrodynamics topics it covers, but I would not suggest it for an intro to GR, and there are better advanced GR books that cover more topics. The QED book is, I think, most useful to those who need a more detailed reference on QED specifically. I wouldn't suggest it as an intro to modern QFT. The QM book is a little old-fashioned in its notation, but I don't think that should really cause any problems for modern readers, and it's still a good general QM reference.

There was also the Shorter Course of Theoretical Physics, which was a condensation of the series.

Last edited:
Statistical Physics 1 and 2 are awesome, so is Physical Kinetics. Yet to understand the last one, its the culmination of the last 5 books. So that's Stat 1, Fluids, Elasticity, Continuous Electro, and Stat 2. It is a beautiful treatment of plasmas using kinetic theory and a Feynman-like graph method that was developed in Stat 2. Mechanics seemed too brief for me, Classical Fields was nice using the invariant approach for E/M to derive relativity. The quantum book is good but the QED is possibly outdated but a great historical reference on deriving the Dirac equation with spinors and the theory of radiation. It seems Path integrals are the popular way in QED and QFD right now.

1. Is it necessary to go through all of Landau-Lifshitz to understand physics?

No, it is not necessary to go through all of Landau-Lifshitz to understand physics. Landau-Lifshitz is a comprehensive and advanced textbook, and while it can provide a deeper understanding of physics, it is not required for a basic understanding.

2. How long does it typically take to go through all of Landau-Lifshitz?

The amount of time it takes to go through all of Landau-Lifshitz can vary greatly depending on the individual's level of understanding and dedication to studying. It could take anywhere from a few months to a few years.

3. Is Landau-Lifshitz appropriate for beginners?

No, Landau-Lifshitz is not appropriate for beginners. It is a very advanced textbook and assumes a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is better suited for graduate students and researchers.

4. Are there any alternative textbooks to Landau-Lifshitz?

Yes, there are many alternative textbooks to Landau-Lifshitz that cover similar topics. Some popular alternatives include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein.

5. Is Landau-Lifshitz still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Landau-Lifshitz is still relevant in modern physics. While some of the content may be outdated, the fundamental principles and theories presented in the textbook are still widely used and studied in current research and applications.