Mathematica: Plot time evolution data in 3D

In summary, the conversation discussed difficulties in plotting three sets of data together in Mathematica, specifically using the DateList format. The original poster wanted to plot A and B against C, but was not able to do so using existing functions. It was suggested to create an interpolation function or convert to absolute time. The Ticks option was also mentioned as a way to label axes tick marks with a specific format.
ChristinaJ
Gold Member
Hi all,

I have 3 lists of data where lists; A={numbers}, B={numbers} and C={{y,m,d,h,m,s},{...}} (i.e. C is in the form DateList).

I have no problem plotting using DateListPlot for the 2D case (C VS A) but can't seem to plot all 3 sets of data together.

Mathematica seems not to be able to interpret the DateList format in ListPlot3d or similar.

Any help in solving this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christina

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really want a 3D plot or do you want two lines on a 2D plot. I.e. C is one axis in units of time, are A and B really different axes, or are they the same axis for different data?

A and B are different data sets.

I measured two parameters simultaneously at each time. I want to plot the change in A with B and time on some kind of surface plot.

I don't think there is a built in function like DateListPlot to do that. You will have to program one yourself or massage your inputs into a form useable by the existing functions.

My approach would be to make an interpolation function and plot that.

Thanks for the reply.

It occurred to me that I could just convert to absolute time and plot that.

Do you know any way of labeling axes tick marks with something other than the data plotted? i.e. if I plot an absolute time value can I label it as y/m/d-hh:mm?

Great! Thanks for all the help.

1. How do I plot time evolution data in 3D using Mathematica?

To plot time evolution data in 3D using Mathematica, you can use the built-in function called ListPointPlot3D. This function takes in a list of data points and plots them in a 3D space, with the x and y coordinates representing the data and the z coordinate representing the time.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my 3D plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your 3D plot in Mathematica by using various options within the ListPointPlot3D function. For example, you can change the color, size, and shape of the data points, as well as add labels, titles, and other annotations to your plot.

3. How do I add a time axis to my 3D plot in Mathematica?

To add a time axis to your 3D plot in Mathematica, you can use the PlotRange option within the ListPointPlot3D function. This allows you to specify the range of values for the x, y, and z coordinates, which can include a time component.

4. Is it possible to animate my 3D plot in Mathematica?

Yes, it is possible to animate your 3D plot in Mathematica by using the Animate function. This function allows you to specify a range of values for a variable (such as time) and create a series of plots that will be displayed in sequence, creating an animation.

5. Can I export my 3D plot in Mathematica to a different format?

Yes, you can export your 3D plot in Mathematica to a different format, such as an image or a video, by using the Export function. This function allows you to specify the file type and the desired filename for your exported plot.