Books on Astrophysics and astronomy

In summary, the individual is interested in astrophysics but pursued a career in computer science. They have a strong background in math, including calculus and linear algebra, and are now looking to revive their interest in astrophysics. They have read amateur literature on astronomy but are looking for more detailed and mathematically-oriented resources. They are seeking recommendations for textbooks that cover distance measuring methods and calculating the mass of a star, starting with foundational concepts and progressing to more advanced topics. They have been recommended Astrophysics by Carroll and Ostlie, but are also considering Foundations of Astrophysics by Ryden and Peterson. They have also been recommended The Cosmic Perspective for a more general overview of astrophysics.
sa.khan
I have always been interested in astrophysics but my career took
another direction and I have an MS in computer science. I wanted
to go back and revive my interest. I have decent math/calculus
background, ODE, PDE, numerical methods including solving
PDE/ODEs, some linear algebra and vectors. I have basic working
knowledge of analytical/algebraic geometery.

I have read lot of stuff on astronomy but most of the ameture
lit. is not satsifying in that there are no details and no mathematical
treatment or explanations (e.g. scientific american).

I wanted to get started with some good textbooks on the subject
that has good conceptual and mathematical detail of the concepts.
e.g. I want to know how to use the various distance measuring methods,
like, statistical paralex...,I want to understand and know how to
calculate the mass of a star...and continue to harder more in depth
topics as I master these fundamentals. I have undergraduate physics
and some graduate math/calculus so I think I can handle the physicis
and math in the basic astrophysics stuff (I am purposely avoiding the
use of astronomy, as I get refs. to star gazing/charts. telescopes etc.
and I am really interested in the physics).

Any good recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. someone recommended Astrophysics by Ostllie and Carrolls, but
as I am starting out I don't know if that is a good choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I love Carroll and ostlie, if you want a general astro book use The Cosmic Perspective, not sure who it is by but we use it for our astro 101 class and it covers basically everything in science/physics terms but still closer to basic but more in depth than popular science articles.

1. What is the difference between astrophysics and astronomy?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties and processes of objects and phenomena in space, while astronomy is the study of celestial objects and their movements, origins, and evolution. Essentially, astrophysics uses the principles and laws of physics to understand and explain astronomical phenomena.

2. What are some popular books on astrophysics and astronomy?

Some popular books on astrophysics and astronomy include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. These books offer engaging and accessible explanations of complex concepts in astrophysics and astronomy.

3. Do I need a strong background in math and science to understand books on astrophysics and astronomy?

While a basic understanding of math and science can certainly be helpful in understanding concepts in astrophysics and astronomy, many books on these subjects are written for a general audience and do not require advanced knowledge. Authors often use analogies and everyday language to explain complex ideas, making them accessible to readers with varying levels of scientific background.

4. Can I learn about the latest discoveries and advancements in astrophysics and astronomy from books?

Yes, many books on astrophysics and astronomy discuss the latest research and discoveries in the field. However, it's important to note that the pace of scientific advancement is rapid, and some information in books may become outdated over time. It's always a good idea to supplement book reading with other sources, such as scientific journals and news articles, to stay updated on the latest developments.

5. Are there any books on astrophysics and astronomy specifically for beginners?

Yes, there are many books on astrophysics and astronomy that are specifically written for beginners. Some good options include "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer, "Astronomy for Dummies" by Stephen P. Maran, and "The Cosmic Perspective" by Jeffrey O. Bennett and Megan O. Donahue. These books provide a solid foundation in the basic principles of astrophysics and astronomy and are a great starting point for beginners.