Which proton would yield the most stable conjugate base?

• Thread starter MechRocket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proton
In summary, the reason C is more acidic than A or B is because the alpha hydrogens are closer to the oxygen and, as a result, de-protonation of C would access the more conjugated system.
MechRocket
[PLAIN]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5747/asdfnt.jpg

My workbook says that protons A & B are both more acidic than C, with the answer being A (I do get that A should be more acidic than B).

[PLAIN]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9800/asdfmi.jpg

I chose C though because de-protonation of C would access the more conjugated system. I would think there is more electron delocalization if you de-protonate C compared to A or B.

I posted this question on another forum and got the response that the reason is because the alpha hydrogens are closer to the Oxygen (electron-withdrawing), but I am not entirely convinced. In my undergrad Orgo course, I was told to always go with the proton that yields that more stable conjugate base, and I would think the base that results from de-protonation at C is clearly much more stable than the one that results from either A or B.

Is this a matter of kinetic control vs. thermo control or something? That's the only thing I can think of, where at low temperatures the proximity to the Oxygen makes A & B more acidic while at higher temperatures the yield would increasingly favor de-protonation of C. Just something I'm putting out there, but it's really just a shot in the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
MechRocket said:
[PLAIN]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5747/asdfnt.jpg

.. I would think the base that results from de-protonation at C is clearly much more stable than the one that results from either A or B.

I think you have come to that conclusion a little hastily. Have you tried to draw resonance structures for deprotonation at A or B? The key stabilizing feature of the resonance system you drew for deprotonation at C is that it includes a structure where the negative charge is localized on the oxygen in the anion.

All three deprotonation sites result in enolate anions ... you might want to look up keto-enol tautomerism to help understand this a little better.

Is this a matter of kinetic control vs. thermo control or something? That's the only thing I can think of, where at low temperatures the proximity to the Oxygen makes A & B more acidic while at higher temperatures the yield would increasingly favor de-protonation of C. Just something I'm putting out there, but it's really just a shot in the dark.

SpectraCat said:
I think you have come to that conclusion a little hastily. Have you tried to draw resonance structures for deprotonation at A or B? The key stabilizing feature of the resonance system you drew for deprotonation at C is that it includes a structure where the negative charge is localized on the oxygen in the anion.

All three deprotonation sites result in enolate anions ... you might want to look up keto-enol tautomerism to help understand this a little better.

I do think I have a good handle on keto-enol tautomerism. If you draw those resonance structures out (de-protonation of A & B), you will see that the conjugated system upon de-protonation of C is still much more extensive because the aldehyde is a Beta-unsaturated aldehyde.

I drew these side by side for you to compare (de-protonation of A #1 vs. de-protonation of C, #2):

[PLAIN]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1476/asdfhug.jpg

1. What does it mean for a proton to be acidic?

A proton is considered acidic when it has a tendency to release or donate a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction.

2. How is the acidity of a proton determined?

The acidity of a proton is determined by its ability to stabilize the negative charge that results from releasing a proton. This is influenced by factors such as electronegativity, atom size, and resonance.

3. Can you rank protons by their acidity?

Yes, protons can be ranked by their acidity using a scale called the pKa scale. The lower the pKa value, the more acidic the proton is.

4. Is the most acidic proton always the one with the lowest pKa value?

In most cases, yes, the proton with the lowest pKa value will be the most acidic. However, there are exceptions where other factors such as solvent effects can influence the acidity of a proton.

5. How does the acidity of a proton affect a molecule's overall acidity?

The acidity of a proton can greatly affect the overall acidity of a molecule. A highly acidic proton can make the molecule more acidic overall, while a less acidic proton may not contribute much to the overall acidity of the molecule.