Schroedinger Equation Questions

• Thread starter apigban
  • Start date
In summary, the Schrodinger equation for a particle described by the wave function should be used with the exponential form of the hyperbolic function, and the normalization should look like: 1=A2 \intsinh2(x)dx.
apigban
Hi! I am having some problems in setting up the Schrodinger equation for a particle described by the wave function:

[itex]\Psi[/itex] = A sinh (x)

should I use the exponential form of the hyperbolic function?

[URL]http://62.0.5.135/upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/c/7/9c74b71126c6bb1f4d6b865019a2735e.png[/URL]

Also, for normalization, do you have any guides that show how to form the complex conjugate of the above function (i don't see the complex parts).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the problem with the Schroedinger equation? Are you using the time-independent version (I assume you should be), is there a potential energy associated with this wavefunction?

Further, the complex conjugate of a real valued function is just the real function again. So normalization should look something like:

1=A2 [itex]\int[/itex]sinh2(x)dx

Last edited:
This is my solution to the normalization of the wave equation. I am sorry I am totally new at this.

[PLAIN]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249293_246586558696823_100000364410765_866703_7618168_n.jpg

Is it correct? I just followed wikipedia's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalizable_wave_function#Example_of_normalization

My question on the Schroedinger Eq. is that: Should i use the exponential form of the hyperbolic function? or does it matter if i use the hyperbolic? In the normalization above i used the exponential form.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you use the wavefunction in the Schrodinger equation, it shouldn't matter what form (hyperbolic or exponential) you use. Your normalization is off however. The integral of sinh2(x) is:

Exponential form: [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] (exp(2x)/2+exp(-2x)/2-2x)
Hyperbolic form: [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] (sinh(2x) -2x)

Further, you need to take the integral only between o and L, the other parts can be ignored. I may be reading this wrong, but it seems like you tried to absorb the exponentials into A2 and ignored any actual integration.

Cheers,
-Malus

thanks! I did the integration. and found what the factor is. thanks also for pointing that hyperbolic or exponentials can be used!.

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system changes over time.

2. Who developed the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926.

3. What does the Schrödinger equation predict?

The Schrödinger equation predicts the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a certain time, based on the wave function of the system.

4. How is the Schrödinger equation solved?

The Schrödinger equation is solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods.

5. What are the applications of the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is used in a wide range of fields, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and materials science, to describe and predict the behavior of particles and systems on a microscopic level.