Find Local Approximation of f(x)=x^(1/3) at x=26.6 with f(27)=3

In summary: To summarize, the local approximation of f(x)=x^(1/3) at x=26.6 is 2.985, obtained by using the formula L(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) and substituting the values in fractional form without using a calculator. This is a reasonable answer as it is close to the cube root of 27, which is what is being approximated.
UrbanXrisis
I need to find thelocal approximation of f(x)=x^(1/3) at x=26.6, knowing f(27)=3.

Here's what I did, don't know if I did it right:

f '(x)=(1/3)x^(-2/3)=[x^(-2/3)]/3

slope of the tanget = slope of the secant
[x^(-2/3)]/3=(y-y1)/(x-x1)
[26.6^(-2/3)]/3=(y-3)/(x-27)

now I sub in X and solve for y:
[26.6^(-2/3)]/3=(y-3)/(26.6-27)
y=2.985

I don't think that's the answer at all, could someone check it?

Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
I need to find thelocal approximation of f(x)=x^(1/3) at x=26.6, knowing f(27)=3.

Here's what I did, don't know if I did it right:

f '(x)=(1/3)x^(-2/3)=[x^(-2/3)]/3

slope of the tanget = slope of the secant
[x^(-2/3)]/3=(y-y1)/(x-x1)
[26.6^(-2/3)]/3=(y-3)/(x-27)

now I sub in X and solve for y:
[26.6^(-2/3)]/3=(y-3)/(26.6-27)
y=2.985

I don't think that's the answer at all, could someone check it?

your answer is reasonable. why? it's just under the cube root of 27, which is what you're looking at. cube that number to check your results -- 26.597 pretty close.

as i recall

the formula is L(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a)

f(x) = x^(1/3)
f'(x) = 1/(3x^(2/3))

i arrive at the same answer plugging those values in.

f(x) = x^(1/3)

However, I'm not supposed to use a calculator to solve it...is there an easier way?

UrbanXrisis said:
However, I'm not supposed to use a calculator to solve it...is there an easier way?

well subsitute the values in fractional form

3 + 1/3(27)^2/3(26.6-27)

3+(1/27)(-4/10)

3-4/270 = 3-2/135 = 2.985

the fractional answer is correct, the decimal is simply an approximation of the fractional expressoin. (both are approximations, keep that in mind)

1. How do I find the local approximation of f(x)=x^(1/3) at x=26.6?

To find the local approximation, you will need to use the first two terms of the Taylor series expansion. This can be done using the formula f(x) ≈ f(a) + f'(a)(x-a), where a is the given value of x and f'(a) is the derivative of the function at that point.

2. What is the value of f(27) for the given function?

The value of f(27) is 3, as given in the problem statement. This is the value of the function at the given point x=27.

3. Why is it important to use the Taylor series expansion for finding the local approximation of a function?

The Taylor series expansion allows us to approximate a function at a specific point using its derivatives. This is useful because it provides a more accurate estimate than simply using the function value at that point, especially for more complex functions.

4. How can I verify the accuracy of my local approximation?

You can verify the accuracy of your local approximation by calculating the error between the actual function value and the approximate value. This can be done by finding the difference between f(a) and the Taylor series approximation f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) at the given point a.

5. Can the local approximation be used to find the exact value of the function at a given point?

No, the local approximation is an estimate and not an exact value. It can provide a close approximation to the function value at a specific point, but it cannot be used to find the exact value of the function.