What are the solutions to ln(z) = 1 and ln(-e^2)?

In summary, the author has two problems with solving for z satisfying the equation z=ln(-e^2). First, they find that z=ln(-1) + ln(e^2) = 2 + i(2m+1)\pi, but they're not sure if this is the only solution. Second, when solving for z satisfying the equation z=ln(z), they find that z=1 when comparing real and imaginary parts, but they're not sure if this is the correct answer.
Claire84
Hi there, I was hoping someone could check my solutions here to make sure I'm on the right track with these. We've been asked to find ALL values of z satisfying the following eqts -
z= ln(-e^2)

which I did by letting ln (-e^2)= ln|-e^2| + iarg(-e^2)
= e^2 + i(pi + 2m(pi)) where m = 0, +1, -1, +2, -2...

are these all the solutions or am I supposed to go further with this to show ALL the solutions?

I've another problem with ln(z)=1 because I have this = ln|z) +iarg(z) so 1=ln|z) when you compare real and imaginary parts. So then we get e^1=|z| so is z just 1/e? It just doesn't seem right to me, since we only get one solution and the question kinda hints at more than one (or maybe it' just the drink talking here!).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have the second part quite right. I get something different for [tex]z[/tex]

[tex]z = ln(-e^2) = ln(-1) + ln(e^2) = 2 + i(2m+1)\pi[/tex]

That's what you wanted to write, I think ?

And I'm not clear where the 1/e came from, in the second part...

Last edited:
Yup, that's what I got for the first one. Was a bit tiddly poo when writing it up tho- sorry! Is that all I have to state for it when it just asks for all the solutions?

In the second one, it wa meant to be ln(z)=-1 (sorry, I'm not drinking again!) so I let -1=ln|z| so then I took exponentials of both sides so I had e^(-1)=|z| so 1/e would equal z. I wasn't sure about having z also equal to -1/e, because since ln(z) = ln|z| + iarg(z) then for z=-1/e then the arg would have to be pi or something...

Oh, and thanks for helping me before. :smile:

Could someone maybe clarify if what I've done with the second part is okay now? Thanks, I'm just not sure if that's the only solution I can get. I think it is but I'm not 100% sure. :smile:

1. What is a logarithm of a negative number?

A logarithm of a negative number is the power to which a base number must be raised to equal the negative number. In other words, it is the inverse operation of exponentiation.

2. Can the logarithm of a negative number be a real number?

No, the logarithm of a negative number cannot be a real number. This is because there is no real number that can be raised to a power and equal a negative number.

3. What is the difference between a natural logarithm and a common logarithm of a negative number?

A natural logarithm uses a base of e (Euler's number), while a common logarithm uses a base of 10. The result of a natural logarithm of a negative number is a complex number, while the result of a common logarithm is undefined.

4. Can the logarithm of a negative number be a complex number?

Yes, the logarithm of a negative number can be a complex number. This is because complex numbers include both real and imaginary components, and the result of a logarithm of a negative number may include an imaginary component.

5. Is it possible for a negative number to have a positive logarithm?

No, it is not possible for a negative number to have a positive logarithm. The logarithm of a number can only be positive if the number itself is greater than 1. Since negative numbers are less than 1, their logarithms will always be negative.