Knot Tie-ing: Adjustable loop and knot that gets more secure as its pulled

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary, the most common knot you see for rock climbing is the double-figure 8, but you may need a knot that gets tighter as the rope is pulled if you have access to only one end of the rope. The bowline may be a good option.
KingNothing
I do some rock climbing, and the most common knot you see is the double-figure 8:
BunnyEar1l.JPG

That's because you can tie it at any point in the rope to create a loop for other climbers to latch into. It also gets tighter as you pull from any direction: the loop or either of the two single ropes coming out.

However, I am often faced with a different problem:

Say you have an infinitely long pole that you need to tie a rope around. You have to make a loop that will grip the pole tighter as the rope is pulled. You have access to one end of the rope, not both. You also need a knot that has this property of getting tighter as the rope is pulled.

Is there any such knot that fits this description?

Physics news on Phys.org
KingNothing said:
I do some rock climbing, and the most common knot you see is the double-figure 8:
BunnyEar1l.JPG

That's because you can tie it at any point in the rope to create a loop for other climbers to latch into. It also gets tighter as you pull from any direction: the loop or either of the two single ropes coming out.

Say you have an infinitely long pole that you need to tie a rope around. You have to make a loop that will grip the pole tighter as the rope is pulled. You have access to one end of the rope, not both. You also need a knot that has this property of getting tighter as the rope is pulled.

I think I know the knot you are talking about, but I can't draw or remember the name :(

Its basically a situation where you have the main line (rope going to you) sandwiched inbetween two other pieces of rope, and a knot is formed with these two pieces near the pole.

I'd be easy to video conference and show you a crappy demo, but I don't think I can do that. It might be easier if I just told you to ask the guy with the face for some advice ;)

Would this one do?

KingNothing said:

It might help if you described the actual situation where you'd need such a knot, but I suspect the thing you are looking for may be a taut-line hitch (or adjustable hitch). The bowline is a very secure way to tie into a pole with access to one rope-end, but the loop does not tighten on the pole. With access to both ends of the rope, you could tie a prusik or klemheist or other similar friction hitch.

1. How does an adjustable loop knot work?

An adjustable loop knot, also known as a sliding loop or adjustable noose, works by creating a loop in the line or rope and allowing the loop to slide or adjust in size. As the loop is pulled, the knot becomes more secure, making it ideal for situations where the tension on the line may change.

2. What is the advantage of using an adjustable loop knot?

The main advantage of using an adjustable loop knot is its ability to tighten and secure itself as tension is applied to the line. This makes it useful for activities such as fishing, camping, and boating where the tension on the line may vary.

3. How do you tie an adjustable loop knot?

To tie an adjustable loop knot, start by creating a simple overhand knot in the line. Then, bring the end of the line back through the overhand knot, creating a loop. Finally, pull the end of the line to tighten the knot. As the knot is pulled, the loop will adjust in size and become more secure.

4. Is an adjustable loop knot strong?

An adjustable loop knot can be strong if tied correctly with the appropriate type and strength of line. However, it is not recommended for use in situations where the line will be under constant heavy tension, as the knot may slip and become loose.

5. What types of activities can an adjustable loop knot be used for?

An adjustable loop knot can be used for a variety of activities, including fishing, camping, boating, and securing loads. It is also commonly used in rock climbing and other outdoor sports where a secure and adjustable knot is needed.