Floor Function (Greatest Integer Function) Identity

In summary, the problem asks us to prove that for all real numbers x and y, the sum of the floor function of 2x and the floor function of 2y is greater than or equal to the sum of the floor function of x, the floor function of y, and the floor function of x+y. The solution involves using the properties of the floor function and the fractional part of a real number. By manipulating equations and using the fact that [2x] = [x] + [x + 1/2], we can prove the inequality.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Prove that, for all [itex]x, y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex],

[itex][2x] + [2y] \geq [x] + [y] + [x + y][/itex].

Homework Equations

I am using [itex][\cdot][/itex] to represent the floor function, and [itex]\{\cdot\}[/itex] to represent the fractional part of a real number ([itex]\{x\} = x - [x][/itex] for real numbers [itex]x[/itex]).

We may take for granted that [itex][x + y] \geq [x] + [y][/itex]. (1)

We may also take for granted that [itex][x + n] = [x] + n[/itex] for [itex]n \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] be real numbers. Using inequality (1) above, we see that [itex][2x] \geq 2[x][/itex] and [itex][2y] \geq 2[y][/itex]. So I can say that

[itex][2x] + [2y] \geq 2[x] + 2[y][/itex]. (a)

By definition, [itex]x = \{x\} + [x][/itex], so we see that [itex][x + y] = [\{x\} + [x] + \{y\} + [y]] = [\{x\} + \{y\}] + [x] + [y] \leq 1 + [x] + [y][/itex]. This is equivalent to

[itex]-[x + y] \geq -1 - [x] - [y][/itex]. (b)

Adding equations (a) and (b), we see that

[itex][2x] + [2y] + 1 \geq [x] + [y] + [x + y][/itex].

I am annoyingly close, and as much as I wish I could get rid of that pesky '1', I can't seem to at the moment. Could someone please give me a little direction? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the fact that [itex][2x] = [x] + [x + 1/2][/itex], I figured it out!

1. What is the floor function (greatest integer function) identity?

The floor function, also known as the greatest integer function, is a mathematical function that rounds a real number down to the nearest integer. Its identity is represented as [x], where x is the input value.

2. How does the floor function differ from other rounding functions?

The floor function always rounds a number down, while other rounding functions such as the ceiling function round up and the round function rounds to the nearest integer.

3. What is the purpose of the floor function in mathematics?

The floor function is useful in many mathematical calculations and is often used to simplify expressions and equations. It is also used in computer programming to convert a real number into an integer.

4. Can the floor function be applied to negative numbers?

Yes, the floor function can be applied to both positive and negative numbers. When applied to a negative number, the floor function rounds down to the nearest integer that is smaller than the input value.

5. Is the floor function the same as the integer part function?

Yes, the floor function is often referred to as the integer part function because it returns the largest integer value less than or equal to the input value. This is also represented as the symbol ⌊x⌋.