Is Our Understanding of Gravity and Quantum Mechanics Incomplete?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of current quantum theory in fully explaining the how and why of the universe. While it is strong in predicting outcomes, it does not provide a complete understanding of the underlying processes. The conversation also touches on the role of philosophy in answering questions that science cannot, and the inevitability of all theories being lacking in some way.
fellupahill
Seems like our general idea on the quantum level stops at predicting with great accuracy. The why, and hows seem to still evade us. Is my ideas accurate?

Physics news on Phys.org

Accurate - don't think so. Current quantum theory is strongest on it's predictive ability.
Perhaps you are thinking of a particular example?

fellupahill said:
Seems like our general idea on the quantum level stops at predicting with great accuracy. The why, and hows seem to still evade us. Is my ideas accurate?

That is all that a physical theory can ever do. Feynman says it better then I can...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah that's a thought - I read that to mean that it does not predict with great accuracy.
Sure - the quantum models are good at predicting the numbers we get but do not do much to tell us how the Universe arrives at those numbers.

It is a philosophical point that the other models don't do this either.
I like Feynman's "Mayan" examples illustrating the danger of trying to interpret the models ... "it's got a 22 in it and 22 is a lucky number..."

QED let's us answer questions like: "how much light do we expect at point P" but won't tell us how those particular photons got there now we have detected them, but it can provide some insight into how photons may have got there in different circumstances.

That's statistics for you.

The "why" questions tend not to get answered in science much at all - that would be philosophy.

It just seems to me that QM is lacking in something, the way Newtons ideas of gravity was lacking. If that makes sense.

No it doesn't. "lacking something" is too vague to have any meaning. It's like there is a Je ne sais quoi about it.

Erm.. I don't get what you are trying to say. All theories are likely lacking something, the problem is finding what.

Yeh - there are not a lot of certainties in this Universe but one of them is that our theories are lacking in some way. We do not actually know everything ...

1. Is Newton's theory of gravity still relevant in our current understanding of quantum mechanics?

No, Newton's theory of gravity is not considered a valid explanation in the field of quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics provides a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

2. How does Newton's theory of gravity differ from our current pop theory on quantum mechanics?

Newton's theory of gravity is based on classical mechanics and describes the force of gravity between two objects with mass. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, focuses on the behavior of particles at a subatomic level and explains forces through the exchange of particles called bosons.

3. Are there any similarities between Newton's theory of gravity and our current pop theory on quantum mechanics?

Both theories attempt to explain the forces at play in the universe, but they use different principles and mathematical equations. Newton's theory focuses on macroscopic objects and their interactions, while quantum mechanics looks at the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

4. Is there any evidence that supports the idea that Newton's theory of gravity and our current pop theory on quantum mechanics are connected?

There is currently no concrete evidence that connects Newton's theory of gravity and quantum mechanics. However, some scientists are working on theories that aim to unite the two concepts, such as quantum gravity.

5. Can we apply Newton's theory of gravity and quantum mechanics simultaneously?

No, it is not possible to apply both theories simultaneously. Newton's theory is applicable to macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is used to explain the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. Therefore, they cannot be used together to explain a single phenomenon.