How can nano-slit arrays affect the focusing of surface plasmons?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's final thesis on surface plasmons and their queries regarding propagation length, conversion of TM polarised light to electrical pulse, and the effect of integrating more slits on focusing. Some suggested resources include Raether's book on Surface Plasmons on Gratings and Maier's book on wave-guiding applications. Plasmonic solar cells are also mentioned as a potential use for plasmons. A specific paper by Garcia-Vidal et al. is recommended for more information on the topic.
ppoonamk
Hey! I am an undergrad student working on my final thesis on surface plasmons. I have the following queries. Any help will be highly appreciated.
1) How far do these plasmons propagate at the interface of the metal and dielectric?
2) Do these plasmons convert the incident TM polarised light to electrical pulse?
3) I am trying to focus these plasmons using nano-slit arrays. How will integrating more slits affect the focusing?

Physics news on Phys.org
some quick comments

1) for propagation length I would start with Raether's book about Surface Plasmons on Gratings... sec 2.1 to be exact and some references there in. Also will probably be a good discussion in Maier's book as I find his exposition pretty sound. he writes a lot about wave-guiding applications where propagation length is a key factor.
2) not sure the question is well formed, but plasmons can be used to generate an electrical current, which is what people are trying to do via plasmonic solar cells.
3) I think this paper or one written by this group on the topic will be what you are looking for Garcia-Vidal et al., PRL vol 90 , pg 213901 (2003)

1. What are surface plasmons?

Surface plasmons are collective oscillations of electrons at the surface of a conductor, typically a metal. They are excited by light and result in a strong interaction between light and matter.

2. How are surface plasmons studied?

Surface plasmons can be studied using various techniques such as surface plasmon resonance (SPR), surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS), and surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs). These techniques involve measuring the changes in the energy or intensity of light as it interacts with the surface plasmons.

3. What are the applications of surface plasmons?

Surface plasmons have a wide range of applications in fields such as biosensing, photovoltaics, and data storage. They can be used to enhance the sensitivity of biosensors, improve the efficiency of solar cells, and increase the storage capacity of optical devices.

4. What are some challenges in the study of surface plasmons?

One of the main challenges in the study of surface plasmons is their short lifetime, which makes it difficult to observe and control their behavior. Another challenge is the fabrication of reliable and reproducible plasmonic structures, as their properties are highly dependent on the size, shape, and composition of the metal nanoparticles.

5. How can surface plasmons be controlled?

Surface plasmons can be controlled by changing the properties of the metal nanoparticles, such as their size, shape, and composition. They can also be manipulated by adjusting the incident light's wavelength, angle, and polarization. Additionally, the surrounding dielectric medium can affect the behavior of surface plasmons.