Entropy & Heat Flow: Understand Thermodynamics & Multiplicity

In summary, the bigger the entropy of a system, the more heat from the surroundings can enter it. This increase in entropy does not result in more heat entering the system.
aaaa202
In my book it says: The bigger entropy of a system, the more heat from the surroundings can enter it. Now, I don't really understand why that is completely. Can anyone explain me? - both in terms of the actual thermodynamic formulas (thermodynamic identity etc.) and in terms of multiplicity?

Science news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
In my book it says: The bigger entropy of a system, the more heat from the surroundings can enter it. Now, I don't really understand why that is completely. Can anyone explain me? - both in terms of the actual thermodynamic formulas (thermodynamic identity etc.) and in terms of multiplicity?
I don't think that is what your book says, exactly. Perhaps there is a translation problem because what you have written does not really make any sense. It would make sense if the book said that as heat from the surroundings enters the system, the entropy of the system increases. This is because ΔS = ∫dQ/T

You are looking at an open system - one that can interact with its surroundings. In such a system, the amount of heat that can flow into the system depends on the temperature of the surroundings, the temperature of the system and the heat capacities of both the system and surroundings. As net heat flows into the system, the entropy of the system increases. This increase in entropy does not result in more heat entering the system.

AM

maybe I am interpreting it wrong. It's about the Helmholtz energy, and the book says:

"The helmholtz energy F is the total energy needed to create a system minus the energy you can get for free from an atmosphere at temperature T. This energy is given by TS, where S is the final entropy of the system. THE MORE ENTROPY A SYSTEM HAS THE MORE OF ITS ENERGY CAN ENTER AS HEAT "

What do you get from that? Where am I going wrong? :)

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to heat flow?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is directly related to the heat flow in a system. As heat flows from a hotter object to a colder one, the entropy of the colder object increases while the entropy of the hotter object decreases. This ultimately leads to an increase in the total entropy of the system.

2. How does the concept of multiplicity relate to entropy?

Multiplicity, also known as microstates, refers to the different ways in which a system can be arranged or organized. In thermodynamics, multiplicity is directly related to entropy, with a higher multiplicity meaning a higher entropy. This is because a system with more possible arrangements has a higher degree of disorder and therefore a higher entropy.

3. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that it is not possible to reverse or decrease entropy. However, it is possible to decrease the entropy of a specific part of a system, as long as the total entropy of the system still increases.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to the concept of energy?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations. In the context of heat flow and entropy, energy is constantly being transferred and transformed between different forms, such as heat energy and work. The laws of thermodynamics govern how energy behaves in these processes.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding entropy and heat flow?

Understanding entropy and heat flow is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and environmental science. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of systems, from power plants and engines to chemical reactions and global climate change. It also plays a role in designing more efficient and sustainable technologies.