Confusion about quantum foam, quantum gravity and singularities

In summary, the conversation discusses theories about what might happen inside a black hole singularity and how quantum mechanics plays a role. The two theories presented in the book suggest that at the singularity, either everything becomes infinite and space-time ceases to exist, or quantum gravity causes the unification of space and time to rupture, resulting in the destruction of time as a concept and the randomness of space. It is also mentioned that the singularity is not a part of our universe and that quantum fluctuations occur at both the subatomic level and in the singularity. The speaker encourages the reader to keep learning and exploring this fascinating topic.
-Sirius-
Hi all,

I've just finished reading a book about Black holes (Black holes & time warps, by Kip Thorne) and there's something in particular I'm confused about.

One chapter talks about what can possibly be inside the singularity, specifically what would happen to an astronaut as he falls towards a black hole singularity; now I know this topic can never be completely proven however the author lists two possible theories:

1. As the astronaut reaches the singularity, the tidal forces grow infinitely strong and their chaotic oscillations become infinitely rapid. The astronaut dies and the atoms from which his body is made become infinitely and chaotically distorted and mixed - and then, at the moment when everything becomes infinite, space-time ceases to exist.

2. Quantum gravity prevents the above from happening, and instead ruptures the unification of space and time into space-time. It unglues space and time from each other and then destroys time as a concept and destroys the definiteness of space. Space, the sole remaining remnant of what was once a unified space-time, becomes a random, probabilistic froth, like soapsuds. This random, probabilistic froth, is the thing of which the singularity is made.

Now when people reference this "froth/foam" are they referring to the virtual particles popping in and out of existence at the Planck length? Wouldn't they just appear as random dots?

My understanding is the singularity is no longer part of our universe, it is a hole to "hyperspace" - does this mean that these quantum fluctuations happen both in our space-time universe and whatever exists outside it (in the singularity)?

Apologies if this doesn't make any sense or I'm way off, I'm not technical in the matter, just enjoy reading about it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions about black holes and the singularity. I can understand your confusion and interest in this topic. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity on the theories presented in the book you read.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the concept of a singularity is a mathematical prediction, and we do not have concrete evidence to prove its existence. That being said, let's explore the two theories mentioned in the book.

The first theory suggests that as an astronaut falls towards the singularity, the tidal forces (the gravitational pull) become infinitely strong, and the chaotic oscillations (irregular movements) become infinitely rapid. This would result in the astronaut's death and the atoms in their body becoming distorted and mixed. At the moment when everything becomes infinite, space-time ceases to exist. This theory is based on the classical understanding of gravity and does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics. Therefore, it is not a complete picture of what might happen inside a singularity.

The second theory, on the other hand, takes into consideration the effects of quantum mechanics. According to this theory, quantum gravity would prevent the chaotic distortion of the astronaut's body and instead rupture the unification of space and time into space-time. This would result in the destruction of time as a concept and the randomness of space. The singularity would be made of this random, probabilistic froth or foam. To answer your question, this foam is not referring to virtual particles popping in and out of existence. It is a concept that attempts to explain the behavior of space and time at the singularity, where our current understanding of physics breaks down.

You are correct in saying that the singularity is not a part of our universe. It is a hypothetical point where the laws of physics, as we know them, do not apply. As for your question about quantum fluctuations happening both in our universe and outside it, the answer is yes. Quantum fluctuations occur at the subatomic level and are a fundamental aspect of the universe, regardless of whether we are talking about our space-time universe or the singularity.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. Keep exploring and learning about black holes and the singularity, as it is a fascinating and ever-evolving field of study. Thank you for your interest and curiosity.

1. What is quantum foam?

Quantum foam is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics which suggests that at a very small scale, the fabric of space-time is not smooth but rather constantly fluctuating and bubbling with energy. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that at the subatomic level, it is impossible to precisely know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

2. How does quantum foam relate to quantum gravity?

Quantum foam is believed to be a manifestation of quantum gravity, which is a theory that attempts to reconcile the principles of general relativity with those of quantum mechanics. In this theory, the fluctuations in the fabric of space-time are caused by the interaction of gravity with other fundamental forces at the quantum level.

3. What are singularities in the context of quantum mechanics?

Singularities are points in space-time where the equations of general relativity break down, typically due to the extreme conditions of infinite density and curvature. In quantum mechanics, singularities are also associated with the idea of infinitely small points, but they are not well understood and are a subject of ongoing research.

4. Can quantum foam and singularities coexist?

Yes, quantum foam and singularities can coexist. In fact, some theories suggest that quantum foam may be able to prevent the formation of singularities by smoothing out the extreme conditions that lead to them. However, this is still a topic of debate and more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between these concepts.

5. How does the existence of quantum foam and singularities impact our understanding of the universe?

The existence of quantum foam and singularities challenges our understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe. It also raises questions about the nature of space and time, and how these concepts behave at the smallest scales. Further research and experimentation in this field may help us better understand the fundamental nature of our universe.