Did We Just Witness a Supernova in M95?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernova
In summary, a new supernova has been spotted in M95. It is a type 2 supernova, and is located nearby.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wow, I was just observing M95 (and a bunch of other galaxies) this past weekend. I'll have to take a look again this weekend and try to spot it, maybe even take an image if I'm feeling ambitious.

According to Wikipedia it's a type 2 supernova. I'm in the middle of imaging it right now and will try to remember to post the pic as soon as I get home.

Here we are. Taken tonight. The light everywhere in the picture is from Mars, as it is very close to M95 at the moment.

Attachments

• M95-SN-1-Cropped.jpg
    M95-SN-1-Cropped.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 492
Drakkith said:
Here we are. Taken tonight. The light everywhere in the picture is from Mars, as it is very close to M95 at the moment.

Well done buddy. :)

Will have to wait till I get out of hospital to get at my planetarium prog and see if
M95 gets above my horizon

Did you do a magnitude estimate?

Dave

davenn said:
Well done buddy. :)

Will have to wait till I get out of hospital to get at my planetarium prog and see if
M95 gets above my horizon

Did you do a magnitude estimate?

Dave

Nah, I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe I'll look it up tonight.

Drakkith said:
Nah, I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe I'll look it up tonight.

Do a visual comparison to other foreground (not stars of the galaxy) stars in the area.
You will be able to get the visual magnitudes of those stars from any decent star map, planetarium prog etc. you should be able to get within + - a magnitude. :)

Dave

Nice image, Drakkith. Apparently it is a Type-IIP core-collapse supernova.

I'll have an opportunity Monday - that's really cool.

SHISHKABOB said:
and to think just one little (compared to the galaxy) star did that :eek:

I had to explain that to everyone at our clubs star party this weekend. Got a few "Ooohhs" out of it.

1. What is a supernova and how does it occur?

A supernova is an extremely bright astronomical event that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life and explodes. This explosion releases a huge amount of energy and creates a shockwave that can be seen from Earth.

2. How do scientists detect possible supernovae?

Scientists use telescopes and specialized instruments to detect potential supernovae. They look for sudden increases in brightness or changes in the spectrum of light emitted by a star, which can indicate a supernova event.

3. What makes the possible supernova in M95 significant?

The possible supernova in M95 is significant because it is located in a nearby galaxy, allowing for detailed observations and studies. It is also one of the closest possible supernovae detected in recent years.

4. What is the timeline for observing and confirming a supernova event?

The timeline for observing and confirming a supernova event can vary, but typically it takes a few days for scientists to identify a potential supernova and then several weeks to months to confirm it through further observations and analysis.

5. How can studying supernovae help us understand the universe?

Studying supernovae can provide valuable insights into the processes and events that occur in the universe. They can help us understand the life cycle of stars, the formation of galaxies, and the expansion of the universe. Supernovae also produce elements that are essential for life, such as carbon and oxygen, allowing us to better understand the origins of our own solar system and planet.